How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Expansion for Glass Using Mercury?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving thermodynamics and calculating the coefficient of volume expansion of glass. The individual is having trouble with their approach and is seeking clarification or assistance. The equations for the volume of mercury and flask are given and used to write an equation showing the difference between the two volumes at a given temperature T. The individual expresses gratitude for the help.
cukitas2001
Hey guys, having some trouble on some thermodynamics this time.

1) A glass flask whose volume is V_o at 0.0 degrees C is completely filled with mercury at this temperature. When flask and mercury are warmed to a temperature of T, a volume V of mercury overflow.

If the coefficient of volume expansion of mercury is B_merc, compute the coefficient of volume expansion of the glass.

I tried relating the two expansions with the formulas:
deltaV=B*V_o*deltaT and V=V_o(1+B*deltaT)

I tried to assume they both had the same V_o and tried subing an expression i got from the mercury expansion into my expression for glass expansion but i keep having V cancel out and its required int he final answer. Anyone know where I am going wrong or have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write two equations: one for the volume of mercury in terms of V_o, B_merc, and T; the other for the volume of the flask in terms of V_o, B_glass, and T. Then use those two expressions to write an equation that says: The difference between the two volumes at temperature T equals V.

Doc Al said:
Write two equations: one for the volume of mercury in terms of V_o, B_merc, and T; the other for the volume of the flask in terms of V_o, B_glass, and T. Then use those two expressions to write an equation that says: The difference between the two volumes at temperature T equals V.

ok thanks man it was the difference thing i didnt know i was trying substitution for soem reason...thanks truckloads again

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the phenomenon in which a material expands or contracts in response to changes in temperature.

2. How does thermal expansion occur?

When a material is heated, its molecules begin to vibrate faster and take up more space, causing the material to expand. Conversely, when a material is cooled, its molecules slow down and the material contracts.

3. What are some examples of thermal expansion?

Common examples of thermal expansion include the expansion of metal bridges on hot days, the cracking of pavement in extreme temperatures, and the expansion and contraction of railroad tracks due to changes in temperature.

4. Why is thermal expansion important?

Thermal expansion can cause significant changes in the size and shape of materials, which can lead to structural damage or failure if not accounted for. It is also important in many engineering and manufacturing processes, as well as in the design of everyday objects such as thermometers and thermostats.

5. How is thermal expansion measured?

Thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per degree of temperature change. It is expressed in units of length per degree of temperature change (e.g. mm/°C).