1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Expansion HELP

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    Hey guys, having some trouble on some thermodynamics this time.

1) A glass flask whose volume is V_o at 0.0 degrees C is completely filled with mercury at this temperature. When flask and mercury are warmed to a temperature of T, a volume V of mercury overflow.

If the coefficient of volume expansion of mercury is B_merc, compute the coefficient of volume expansion of the glass.

I tried relating the two expansions with the formulas:
    deltaV=B*V_o*deltaT and V=V_o(1+B*deltaT)

I tried to assume they both had the same V_o and tried subing an expression i got from the mercury expansion into my expression for glass expansion but i keep having V cancel out and its required int he final answer. Anyone know where im going wrong or have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Write two equations: one for the volume of mercury in terms of V_o, B_merc, and T; the other for the volume of the flask in terms of V_o, B_glass, and T. Then use those two expressions to write an equation that says: The difference between the two volumes at temperature T equals V.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3
    ok thanks man it was the difference thing i didnt know i was trying substitution for soem reason...thanks truckloads again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?