1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion of a pot

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Some cookware has a stainless steel interior (alpha = 17.3 *10^- 6) and a copper bottom (alpha = 17.0 * 10^-6) for better heat distribution. Suppose an 8.0 in. pot of this construction is heated to 620 C on the stove.

2. Relevant equations
    Delta L = alpha* Lo * delta T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the definition of coefficient of linear expansion to find the change in diameter for both copper and stainless steel. For stainless steel I found 0.083 inches, and for copper I found 0.0812 inches. I don't know where I am supposed to go from here, this is a homework problem online, and neither of the above answers nor their difference is the correct answer.
    Please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know where you are supposed to go from here either. You say your answer is incorrect, but you are not saying what the question is. Also, it would help if you showed exactly what you did. Giving a wrong answer is not enough to find where you might have gone wrong.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    Sorry! I forgot the second part:
    If the initial temperature of the pot is 23 C, what is the difference in diameter change for the copper and the steel?

All I did was plug in the numbers for the coefficient of linear expansion,
    For stainless steel: L = (17.3 * 10^-6) * (8 in) * (620 C - 23 C) = 0.083
    and the same method for copper, so L = 0.0812

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are looking for the difference between the changes. That's the difference in diameter change that the problem is asking for. You say you put a number in that was wrong. What was that number?

6. Nov 29, 2009 #5
    your suppose to subtract the two answers you got.
    0.083-0.0812 to get the difference in diameters.
    You might want to check you calculations too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook