Calculating Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for a Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to determine the coefficient of thermal expansion for a rod that was measured to be 21.81 cm long at 21.5°C and then measured to be 21.93 cm at 345.0 °C. The conversation suggests using the known coefficient of thermal expansion for the steel ruler to calculate the expansion of the ruler at 345.0 °C and then using that information to calculate the new length of the heated rod. It is mentioned that the coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 10.5e-6. The conversation ends with a suggestion to calculate what 21.93 cm on the ruler would equal if the ruler was cooled down, which would give the real length of the
Indy2424
A rod is measured to be exactly 21.81 cm long using a steel ruler at a temperature of 21.5°C. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven with a temperature of 345.0 °C where the rod now measures 21.93 cm using the same ruler. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of which the rod is made?

I have spent over 8 hours trying to figure this out and cant. I need help mainly figureing out delta L of the rod. Any help would be greatful

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi - Do you know the coefficient of thermal expansion of the steel ruler?

If so, you can determine how much the the ruler expanded (from point 0 to point 21.93) at 345.0 oC.

Given that, you know the new length of the rod.

Try it, see if it works.

Regards, BobM

Last edited:
11x10^-6 is the coef I have tried what I think is everything and still no luck on the right answer. I am pretty sure I am setting it up right DeltaL = coef L DeltaT but can't seem to work it out to get the right coef for the rod

Indy2424 said:
11x10^-6 is the coef I have tried what I think is everything and still no luck on the right answer. I am pretty sure I am setting it up right DeltaL = coef L DeltaT but can't seem to work it out to get the right coef for the rod

Maybe try 13*10-6 for the steel ruler?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/thexp.html#c1

The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is (10.5e-6), according to my book.

Does it make sense that if you know the new length of the rod, you could easily calculate the rod's coefficient of expansion? If so, can you calculate what 21.93 cm on the ruler would equal if you cooled the ruler down? That would be the real length of the heated rod.

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in volume or size as its temperature increases. This occurs due to the increase in molecular motion within the material, causing it to take up more space.

2. How does thermal expansion affect a rod?

When a rod is heated, its molecules gain energy and begin to vibrate more vigorously, causing the rod to expand in length. Similarly, when the rod cools, the molecules lose energy and vibrate less, causing the rod to contract in length.

3. What factors affect the amount of thermal expansion in a rod?

The amount of thermal expansion in a rod depends on the material it is made of, the length of the rod, and the change in temperature it experiences. Each material has a unique coefficient of thermal expansion that determines how much it will expand or contract for every degree of temperature change.

4. Can thermal expansion cause damage to a rod?

In extreme cases, thermal expansion can cause damage to a rod if it is not designed to withstand the expansion and contraction. This can lead to warping, bending, or even breaking of the rod. It is important to consider thermal expansion when designing structures or machines that use rods.

5. How can thermal expansion be controlled?

Thermal expansion can be controlled by using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, or by designing structures and machines that allow for expansion and contraction without causing damage. Other methods include using expansion joints or incorporating temperature control systems to regulate the temperature of the rod.