Thermal Expansion of Spheres

In summary, the thermal expansion of a spherical shell made of a homogeneous solid is equivalent to that of a solid sphere of the same material. This is shown through the use of equations involving the coefficient of linear expansion, area, volume, and temperature. However, there may be some difficulty in proving this equivalence, as the two radii do not seem to be equal. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the question.
harshaxnim
Explain why the thermal expansion of a spherical shell made of a homogeneous solid is equivalent to that of solid sphere of the same material.

I guess these equations would be of some help.
(ΔA)=A*2α*(ΔT)
α→ Coefficient of linear expansion.
A→ Area
T→ Temperature

(ΔV)=V*3α*(ΔT)
α→ Coefficient of linear expansion.
V→ Volume
T→ Temperature

I'm not sure if i understood the question right.
By "equivalent thermal expansion" i guess they mean to say the radius increases by same amount during the expansion.
So i set out relating the two radii.
Took two spheres, one hollow, the other solid, of same dimensions, i.e., same radii.

For the Shell,

(ΔA)=A*2α*(ΔT)
Rf2-Ri2=Ri2*2α*ΔT
Rf=Ri√(2α*ΔT+1)

For the solid sphere, similarly, relating the volume,
Rf=Ri∛(3α*ΔT+1)

But, failed to prove them to be the same.
So what exactly do they intend to ask? And how do i hit it?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this work?

Attachments

• aaaaa098.jpg
    aaaaa098.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,481

1. What is thermal expansion of spheres?

Thermal expansion of spheres refers to the increase in size or volume of a sphere when its temperature increases. This is due to the expansion of the molecules within the sphere.

2. What causes thermal expansion of spheres?

The main cause of thermal expansion of spheres is the increase in kinetic energy of the molecules within the sphere when it is heated. This leads to the molecules vibrating and taking up more space, resulting in an increase in size of the sphere.

3. How does temperature affect the thermal expansion of spheres?

As the temperature of a sphere increases, the molecules within it gain more kinetic energy and move around more, leading to an increase in size of the sphere. This relationship between temperature and thermal expansion is directly proportional.

4. How is thermal expansion of spheres measured?

Thermal expansion of spheres can be measured by using a special tool called a dilatometer. This instrument measures the change in size or volume of the sphere as it is heated or cooled.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding thermal expansion of spheres?

Understanding thermal expansion of spheres is important in various industries such as engineering, construction, and manufacturing. It helps in designing structures and machines that can withstand changes in temperature without breaking or malfunctioning. It is also useful in determining the accuracy and precision of measurement tools and devices.