1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion problem

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Hey,
    let's say I have a pipe with a fastener screwed into it.
    If they are of different materials, how can I find out the pressure/gap between the bolt and nut if they are heated?
    I don't expect a complete solution of course, just a couple of hints to get me going :)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2
    I would first make the assumption they the two pieces are not thread and have simple smooth cylindrical surfaces and are cylindrical in shape. I would also make the assumption they the don't expand longitudinally but just radially.

Wikipedia has all the equations you need and data for popular materials. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion

The "expanding ring" problem in which you essentially now have is well covered in most structural mechanics engineering textbooks. If the wikipedia site doesn't give you enough info, a descent text will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?