Thermal Expansion and Differential Equations

In summary, the problem involves finding an equation in terms of l for a given differential equation. The solution involves using the given differential equation and applying integration to get an equation in terms of l. However, the given solution also requires the use of the equation \alpha(K) = \alpha_{0} + \alpha_{1} T.
temaire

Homework Statement

2ebx3is.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha(T)dT = \frac{\partial L}{L}[/tex] <--- Differential Equation given on formula sheet

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha(T)dT = \frac{\partial L}{L}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{l_0}^{l_1} \frac{\partial L}{L} = \int_{T_0}^{T_1} \alpha(T)dT [/tex]

[tex] ln(\frac{l_1}{l_0}) = \int_{T_0}^{T_1} [ \alpha_{0} + \alpha_{1} T]dT [/tex]

[tex] ln(\frac{l_1}{l_0}) = \alpha_{0} (T_1 - T_0) + \frac{\alpha_{1} (T_1 - T_0)^{2}}{2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{l_1}{l_0} = e^{\alpha_{0} (T_1 - T_0) + \frac{\alpha_{1} (T_1 - T_0)^{2}}{2}} [/tex]

I know my answer is not correct, since the question asked to have the equation in terms of [itex]l[/itex]. I'm also confused as to whether or not I was even supposed to use the equation that was given in the preamble, [itex] \alpha(K) = \alpha_{0} + \alpha_{1} T [/itex]. I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct solution should be:\frac{l_1}{l_0} = e^{\alpha_{0}(T_1 - T_0)}e^{\frac{\alpha_{1}}{2}(T_1^2 - T_0^2)}

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion refers to the increase in size of a material as its temperature increases. This occurs because the molecules in the material move faster and take up more space.

What causes thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is caused by the kinetic energy of molecules increasing as temperature increases. This causes the molecules to move farther apart and take up more space, resulting in expansion of the material.

What materials are affected by thermal expansion?

All materials are affected by thermal expansion, but the degree of expansion varies depending on the material. Generally, materials with higher thermal conductivity and lower stiffness will expand more.

How does thermal expansion affect everyday objects?

Thermal expansion can cause everyday objects to change in size and shape due to changes in temperature. For example, metal objects may expand and contract with changes in temperature, causing them to warp or bend.

How is thermal expansion accounted for in engineering and construction?

Engineers and construction professionals must consider thermal expansion when designing and building structures, as it can cause significant changes in size and shape. They may use materials with low thermal expansion coefficients or incorporate expansion joints to accommodate for thermal expansion.