How Hot Must the Steel Rim Be to Fit Over the Cast Iron Wheel?

In summary, the question is asking at what temperature the steel rim of a railway car wheel must be heated in order to slip over the cast iron body. The formula for linear expansion is used, with the coefficient of linear expansion for steel being 1.3e-5 K^-1. The solution to the problem is found to be 268.9 degrees Celsius, which may seem high but is still far below the melting point of iron.
Nai

Homework Statement

The question is : Wheels for railway cars are made of a disk shaped cast iron body of outer diameter 930.0 mm and a steel rim of inner diameter 927.0 mm at 20 degrees Celsius. To what temperature must the steel rim be heated so that it will just slip over the cast iron body?

Homework Equations

I know we use the linear expansion formula which is :
The change of length=alpha(initial length)( change of temperature)
The alpha would be the coefficient of linear expansion in this case would be the steel's coefficient which is 1.3e-5 K^-1.
I don't think it's possible to get 268.9 degrees for the steel to expand o-o

The Attempt at a Solution

My work:
(930-927)=(1.3e-5)(927)(T-20)
T=268.9 degrees Celsius

I think I'm doing something wrong >___<
If anyone could help me, it would be awesome.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's wrong. An expansion of 3mm is quite big. The answer is still far away from the melting point of iron (~ 1500 Celsius degrees)

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume in response to a change in temperature. This can occur in solids, liquids, and gases.

2. How does thermal expansion occur?

Thermal expansion occurs when the molecules in a substance gain energy and vibrate more, causing them to take up more space and expand.

3. What are some examples of thermal expansion?

Some common examples of thermal expansion include the expansion of metal structures on hot days, the cracking of pavement due to extreme temperatures, and the expansion of liquid in a thermometer.

4. What factors affect thermal expansion?

The degree of thermal expansion in a substance is affected by the type of material, its initial temperature, the temperature change, and the shape and size of the object.

5. How is thermal expansion useful in everyday life?

Thermal expansion is used in a variety of applications, such as in the design of bridges and buildings to allow for changes in temperature, in the creation of thermometers to measure temperature changes, and in the production of certain types of glass and ceramics.