1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Expansion

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow glass block is floating in a container of methyl alcohol. Initially, everything is at a temperature of 20 degrees C, and just 7% of the block is above the suface of the alcohol. If you heat the container (gently and evenly- so that everything warms up together), at what temperature will the block sink to the bottom?

2. Relevant equations

So far, I think I need these:

V = V initial (1+Beta x change in Temp)

Beta = Coefficient of Thermal expansion (volume)

Buoyant force = rho x V x g (but I am not given the density of methyl alcohol in my book)

Coef for Therm Exp. for Methyl alcohol = 1200 x 10^-6

3. The attempt at a solution

I am pretty sure I will use the first equation, I just don't know how yet.... I don't know any volumes,and I don't have any dimensions to get there, so I don't know how to begin. The 93% submerged tidbit has got to be useful, but I don't see how to use it :( Something to do with buoyant force....?

Thank you ahead of time for any help!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The buoyant force depends on the density of a substance which is inversely proportional to its volume. You know the buoyant force must support the weight of the sphere as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?