1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow aluminum cylinder 18.0 cm deep has an internal capacity of 2.000 L at 24.0°C. It is completely filled with turpentine and then slowly warmed to 88.0°C. Note: If applicable, Table 19.1 is available for use in solving this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved part A and got an answer.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong for part B, maybe someone can help.

When the cylinder heated up it expanded, as did the turpentine; the turpentine expanded more and then overflowed. So the remaining turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 88C. So here is what I have set up.

Ok, it will take me a while to get the math in here, so maybe someone can just tell me if my concept is wrong and then that will be easy.

I know the volume of turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 80C. So, with that, I can refind the volume of turpentine at 24C. Once I have the volume of the turpentine at 24C then I can set that to pi r^2 h, and solve for h. I can get r from initial conditions I was given. What is wrong with this thought process?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    If I need to put the math tell me and I will do it.

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3
    Ohhhhhhhh nothing is wrong with that thought process is it? Thats right, someone tell me that right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?