Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermal expansion

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow aluminum cylinder 18.0 cm deep has an internal capacity of 2.000 L at 24.0°C. It is completely filled with turpentine and then slowly warmed to 88.0°C. Note: If applicable, Table 19.1 is available for use in solving this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved part A and got an answer.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong for part B, maybe someone can help.

When the cylinder heated up it expanded, as did the turpentine; the turpentine expanded more and then overflowed. So the remaining turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 88C. So here is what I have set up.

Ok, it will take me a while to get the math in here, so maybe someone can just tell me if my concept is wrong and then that will be easy.

I know the volume of turpentine is the volume of the cylinder at 80C. So, with that, I can refind the volume of turpentine at 24C. Once I have the volume of the turpentine at 24C then I can set that to pi r^2 h, and solve for h. I can get r from initial conditions I was given. What is wrong with this thought process?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    If I need to put the math tell me and I will do it.

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3
    Ohhhhhhhh nothing is wrong with that thought process is it? Thats right, someone tell me that right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook