Thermal/fluid dynamics and liquid cooling a computer.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of liquid cooling in home computers and the factors that need to be considered in determining its effectiveness. This includes the specific heat capacity and density of the liquid, as well as the surface area and thermal conductivity of the materials involved. The formula for calculating the amount of heat that can be removed from a CPU is also provided.
SteveThing
Hello all,

I am by no means a scientifically educated person. I am a network engineer by trade. As a hobby, I work on personal computers. That being said, I'm trying to find formulas for calculating what kind of cooling I can expect given a certain liquid cooling configuration.

What is commonly used for liquid cooling a typical home computer is water. This is due to the superior heat capacity of this material in comparison to other liquids/air. Some of the challenges with this are dealing with the corrosive nature of water depending on the pH balance. I'm trying to figure out how well mineral oil would work instead and what flow rate/PSI I would need to achieve to handle a thermal capacity of let's say... 125 thermal watts.

Typically, a computer's CPU generates far less than this. Some enthusiasts like to push the limits of their machines by overclocking. This obviously generates more heat. There have been some creative methods of dealing with this heat. So, on to the details:

Mass Specific Heat Capacities (Cp):
Distilled Water (25*C): 4.1813 kJ/kgK
Mineral Oil: 1.67 kJ/kgK
Copper: 0.385 kJ/kgK
Aluminium: 0.91 kJ/kgK

Viscosity in Centipoise(cP):
Distilled Water (25*C): 1 cP
Mineral Oil: 92 cP

So, given the above information, how would I figure out how much heat can be pulled off of a CPU with a copper block with water or mineral oil running through it at X flow rate? I know there are some variables missing, I just don't know what is needed...

Regards

Science news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can provide some insight into your question about liquid cooling for a home computer. The first thing to consider is the specific heat capacity of the liquid being used. As you mentioned, water has a higher heat capacity compared to mineral oil, meaning it can absorb more heat before reaching its boiling point. This is why water is commonly used for liquid cooling in computers.

To calculate the amount of heat that can be pulled off a CPU using a specific liquid and flow rate, you will need to use the following formula:

Q = m * Cp * ΔT

Where:
Q = heat removed (in Joules)
m = mass flow rate (in kg/s)
Cp = specific heat capacity (in J/kgK)
ΔT = change in temperature (in K)

To find the mass flow rate, you will need to consider the volume flow rate (in m^3/s) and the density (in kg/m^3) of the liquid. The density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, while the density of mineral oil is around 900 kg/m^3.

As for the variables missing, you will also need to take into account the surface area of the copper block and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. The higher the surface area and thermal conductivity, the more efficient the cooling will be.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is thermal/fluid dynamics?

Thermal/fluid dynamics is the study of how heat and fluids interact, and how these interactions affect the behavior of systems.

Why is thermal/fluid dynamics important in computer cooling?

Computer components generate heat as they operate, and if this heat is not dissipated efficiently, it can lead to performance issues or even damage to the components. Understanding thermal/fluid dynamics is crucial in designing effective cooling systems for computers.

What is liquid cooling for computers?

Liquid cooling is a method of cooling computer components by circulating a liquid, usually water or a mixture of water and propylene glycol, through a closed loop system that absorbs and dissipates heat from the components.

What are the advantages of liquid cooling over traditional air cooling?

Liquid cooling is more efficient than air cooling, as liquids have a higher heat capacity and can absorb and dissipate heat more effectively. This allows for more powerful and overclocked components to operate at lower temperatures. It also reduces noise levels, as liquid cooling systems typically have larger radiators and fans that can operate at lower speeds.

Are there any drawbacks to using liquid cooling for computers?

The main drawback of liquid cooling is the initial cost, as it is more expensive than traditional air cooling. It also requires more maintenance, as the liquid may need to be replaced periodically and the system needs to be monitored for leaks. Additionally, liquid cooling systems can be more complex to install and may not be compatible with all computer cases.