1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal green function and complex integration

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    green function and complex integration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By reading this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0610391v4 I cannot proof the following relation on page 9 equation (23) , by a suitable choice of a contour in the complex omega plane:

[tex]\int\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^2} \coth(\frac{|\vec{p}|}{2T})\frac{\cos(|\vec{p}| t-\vec{p}\vec{x})}{|\vec{p}|}=
    \int\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} e^{i\vec{p}\vec{x}}\int\frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \coth(\frac{\omega}{2T})\frac{e^{-i\omega t}}{\omega^2-|\vec{p}|^2-i \epsilon}}[/tex]

T stands for the temperature, therefore T>0.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\cos(|\vec{p}| t-\vec{p}\vec{x})=\frac{1}{2} e^{i \vec{p}| t-i \vec{p}\vec{x}}+\frac{1}{2} e^{-i \vec{p}| t+i \vec{p}\vec{x}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all I calculated the residues at [tex]\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] and [tex]\omega=|{\vec{p}}|[/tex]. This gives me:

[tex]Res(\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|)=\frac{coth(-|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{-2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{i |{\vec{p}}|t}=\frac{coth(|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{i |{\vec{p}}|t}[/tex] since the coth is an odd function.
    [tex]Res(\omega=|{\vec{p}}|)=\frac{coth(|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{-i |{\vec{p}}|t}[/tex]

The -i epsilon term in the denominator says one should circumvent the pole at [tex]\omega=|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] anti-clockwise and at [tex]\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] clockwise (Feynman prescription). By suming up these contributions i get almost the result (missing just a numerical factor [tex]-2\pi i[/tex]).

Then I investigated the behaviour of the integrand for [tex]|\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] and found out that
    [tex]coth(\omega /2T)\rightarrow 1, |\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] and
    [tex]e^{-i\omega t} \rightarrow 0, |\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] only if t<0 in the upper omega halfplane and t>0 in the lower halfplane. Else the contributions at infinity to the contour integral would not vanish (there would not be an damping factor exp(-Im(w)t).

The Problem is that I do not really know how to choose the contour in the complex plane, since additionally the coth has poles on the imaginary axis at [tex]\omega=i 2\pi nT[/tex] for every integer n too. Especially coth has a simple singularity at [tex]\omega=0[/tex].
    I asked my professor and he told me to try the following contour (look at the attachment). But even he does not know what to do with the pole at zero.
    I am trying to figure this out now for more than a week, but no success.

I hope one of you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted