Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal imaging

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1

kos

In the clear calm night,I'm out doing yoga exercises. My body will shine emiting infrared radiation as it stays blackbody radiation principal. So my particular question is , is it possible for some remote aliens on its remote planet to catch my infrared fringerprints of the image (with respect of distance and time references )and eventually learn and start someday doing assanas. Are there some limitations over this scenario .

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2
    thermal imaging is just light imaging is it not?

how good is their infra-red telescope?

It would be like you flashing a torch on and off and somebody at the other edge of the galaxy seeing it

Is it possible to resolve (ie subtract it from all the other light being emitted in the vicinity) the emission of light from a 2m (you) source from millions of light years away?

Its difficult to resolve the emission of light from enormous stars from that distance, I'm guessing the possiblity aliens could resolve the light from a single speck would be almost zero. BUT, you just never know what sort of technology they might have...

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There are differences between IR and visible light imaging, but the basic principles are the same.

The size of the telescope needed to resolve you from thousands of light-years away is astronomical. Greater than the size of the solar system. And it would have to be able to correct for aberrations introduced by Earth's atmosphere. Of course, if they have the technology they may not need a physical telescope of that size, but may be able to perform remote very-long-baseline-interferometry in the IR band, which we aren't quite capable of doing yet.

5. Jul 28, 2015 #4
    well, yes
    thats why I said "light imaging"
    thats why I qualified it with infra red telescope

its all light

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5

kos

Does the atmosphere introduce some troubles when the point is about infrared ? As I know the conditions about astronomical seeing other troubleshoots related with the atmosphere have no influence in IR spectrum especially in Mid - Infrared where mostly we emit ,have they ?

7. Jul 29, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Hmm, you may be correct. I was thinking about near IR, not far or mid IR which is much less affected by the atmosphere.

8. Jul 30, 2015 #7

kos

And what about the other types of black-body radiation that are supposed to be. As it postulates the theory we should emit any kind of radiation with a peak in mid infrared but with respective amounts of other types as far-IR, microwave and even radio emissions. So how do you think.Do we reabsorb all back this rest portion of neglegiable fractions of weak emissions our body's temperature produce or it leaves us , our atmosphere , our solar system and eventually goes far way reaching distant places as a messengers who carries the frozen bits of information about of some of our long past ago "now moments" telling the story of us ?

9. Jul 30, 2015 #8

Drakkith

The other wavelengths are much, much lower in intensity than the IR light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook