Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Thermal lensing in lasers

1. Dec 1, 2018 #1
    Hello, I wanted to ask about thermal lensing. Thermal lensing is when a temperature gradient from the center of the medium to the outermost part of the medium is created. This causes a varying refractive index throughout the medium.

What I want to ask is: Why is the core of the rod(or any other active medium) always hotter and the outermost part - cooler?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Same reason as the penguins at the centre of a colony in a storm are warmer than those on the outside (or why there is a temperature gradient across any cooling body). Each part of the laser is transferring the same amount of input power per unit volume into heat, the outer parts have a higher net loss than the inner parts so the equilibrium temperatures will be different.

4. Dec 2, 2018 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Thanks, that's a marvelous metaphor.

Water always flows downhill. Heat always flows from warmer to colder. Consider just 3 penguins; center, middle, outer. For heat to flow, temperature at center must be hotter than middle, and temperature at middle must be hotter than outer.

5. Dec 2, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Cheers. I saw some Emperor Penguins on the TV last night and the metaphor just thrust itself into my mind this morning.

6. Dec 2, 2018 #5
    So simple now when I think about it (net gains and net losses). Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted