1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal/mechanical properties of matter

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    1)Explain why a correction must be applied for displacement of air in accurate weighing with a common balance.

Calculate the percentage error which would arise through neglect of this correction in weighing water with platinum weights of density 2.15x10^4 in air density 1.22. (units are kg and m)

I'm not really sure what to do with this question, is the first part involving the non-uniform distribution of air and the resulting varying pressure or something? hmm. I've scanned a textbook i have access to, it's not very well up on thermal stuff and I can't get to library for a few days. beh. As for the second part, hints are welcome :uhh:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are u sure it's "thermal stuff" and not Archimede's buoyant force...?

Judging from the second problem,it would seem that way...

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    yeah me too, thats just what the problem sheet was titled. makes it a little more confusing. I still don't get it though.. :|
  5. Feb 24, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean "thermal/mechanical properties of matter"...?Neglecting complete vagueness of the phrase,i think the "mechanical" part would account for Archimede's buoyant force...:wink:

How about asking the dude/chick who gave the problem what on Earth was he/she meaning...

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5
    I am itching to give it a shot....

subscripts a, w and p correspond to air, water and platinum resp.
    Buoyant force act on both sides of the scale.

[tex] v_w \rho _w - v_w\rho_a = v_p\rho_p - v_p\rho_a [/tex]

[tex] \frac{v_w}{v_p} = \frac{(\rho_p - \rho_a)}{ \rho_w - \rho_a[/tex]

real weight = [tex] \rho_w v_w[/tex]

Apparent weight = [tex] v_w\rho_w - (v_w\rho_a - v_p\rho_a) [/tex]

% diff = [tex] \frac{\rho_a}{ \rho_w}\left( \frac { \rho_p - \rho_w}{\rho_p - \rho_a} \right)[/tex]

Does it sounds right?

edit: I was attempting to write the ratio of [tex] v_w/v_p[/tex] by rearranging the first equation. It shows up OK in my preview page.
    But shows error after submitting.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?