1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Physics - Absorbtion of oxygen in a magnetic field

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1

NIQ

Question:
    Suppose that at most one [tex]O_2[/tex] can be bound to a heme group (see Problem 8), and that when [tex]\lambda(O_2) = 10^{-5}[/tex] we have 90 percent of hemes occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex]. Consider [tex]O_2[/tex] as having a spin of 1 and a magnetic moment of 1 [tex]\mu_B[/tex]. How strong a magnetic field is needed to change the adsorption by 1 percent at T = 300K? (The Gibbs sum in the limit of zero magnetic field will differ from that of Problem 8 because there the spin multiplicity of the bound state was neglected.)

And for reference here is Problem 8 (however we were not required to do this question so I don't know the answer to this one either).:

Problem 8 - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
    In carbon monoxide poisoning the CO replaces the [tex]O_2[/tex] adsorbed on hemoglobin (Hb) molecules in the blood. To show the effect, consider a model for which each adsorption site on a heme may be vacant or may be occupied either with energy [tex]\epsilon_A[/tex] by one molecule [tex]O_2[/tex] or with energy [tex]\epsilon_B[/tex] by one molecule CO. Let N fixed heme sites be in equilibrium with [tex]O_2[/tex] and CO in the gas phases at concentrations such that the activities are [tex]\lambda(O_2) = 1 x 10^{-5}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda(CO) = 1 x 10^{-7}[/tex], all at body temperature 37 derees Celcius. Neglect any spin multiplicity factors. a) First consider the system in the absence of CO. Evaluate [tex]\epsilon_A[/tex] such that 90 percent of the Hb sites are occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex]. Express the answer in eV per [tex]O_2[/tex]. b) Now admit the CO under the specified conditions. Find [tex]\epsilon_B[/tex] such that only 10 percent of the Hb sites are occupied by [tex]O_2[/tex].

I know you guys ask for us to show that we've done some work on the question before submitting it but I really have no idea where to start on this one. I haven't talked to any classmates yet because they haven't started anything but if necessary I can see if I can get it started then post what I have before asking for help. I was just hoping someone here could get me going on some sort of solution.

Thanks.

Note: Again, Problem 8 was not assigned so I'm assuming it is not required to be done so don't worry about that one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?