1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Physics, energy and temperature

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In section 2.5 I quoted a theorum on the multiplicity of any system with only quadratic degrees of freedom: In the high-temperature limit where the number of units of energy is much larger than the degrees of freedom, the multiplicity of any such system is proportional to ## U^{Nf/2} ##, where Nf is the total number of degrees of freedom. Find an expression for the energy of such a system in terms of its temperature, and comment on the result. How can you tell that this formula for ## \Omega ## cannot be valid when the total energy is very small?

2. Relevant equations

## S = k \ln (\Omega) ##

## \dfrac{1}{T} = \left( \dfrac{\partial S}{\partial U} \right) ##

3. The attempt at a solution

So they said that the multiplicity is proportional to ## U^{Nf/2} ##

And so I'm assuming ## \Omega = A \cdot U^{Nf/2} ## for some constant A

Putting that into the Entropy formula I get

## S = k \ln (A \cdot U^{Nf/2}) ##

## S = k \ln (A) + \dfrac{Nfk}{2} \ln(U) ##

Partial differentiating with respect to U I get:

## \dfrac{1}{T} = \left( \dfrac{\partial S}{\partial U} \right) = \dfrac{Nfk}{2U} ##

And so: ## T = \dfrac{2U}{Nfk} ##
    which tells us that T is proportional to U and inversely proportional to f.

Is that right? And what about the last part of the question? If U is very small, then T is very small as well, so why can it not be valid? Is it because the temperature is measured in Kelvin starting from -273.15 and so no amount of U will give you that?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted