Solving Thermal Physics Questions: Q1 Calorimeter & Q2 Ice & Water

In summary, the conversation is about two questions related to thermal physics. The first question involves calculating the amount of steam needed to be condensed into water to reach a final temperature of 50 degrees Celsius. The second question is about finding the final temperature of a mixture of 250g of ice and 600g of water at 18 degrees Celsius. The conversation includes discussions on using equations and concepts such as thermal equilibrium to solve the problems.
dagg3r
hi there guys I am doing a thermal physics question and its hard please help me and point me in the right directions please thanks.

question 1

A 50g copper calorimeter contains 250g of water at 20degrees celsius how much steam must be condensed into water if the final temperature is to reach 50degrees?

what i did i tried applying these equations
Qcold= -Qhot
MwCw(T-Tw) = MxCx(T-Tx)
i let mw=0.25g

now the tricky bit is the steam getting condensed to 50degrees i tried using the latent heat of evaporation but with no sucess and how does the copper insulator relate? pleaes help

Question 2
An insulated vessel 250g if ice is at 0degrees and is added to 600g of water at 18degrees a) what is the final temperature of water

ok first step here i calculated the energy required to change the phase of ice to water
Q=83.3 KJ

then i calcualted the energy 600g of water released and got Q=45.2 KJ

how do i go from here to get final temperature of the system? and the book says the answer is 0 how is that? please show me thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Heat gained by 250gms of water from 20deg.C to 50 deg.C is equal to the latent heat loss by 'x' gms steam at 100deg.C + sensible heat loss by 'x' gms of water from 100deg.C to 50deg.C.

2. What will be the temperature of final mixture when you can't supply heat to melt the ice totally?

Hello,
1) I think that you'll have to use the relationship
Heat gained by copper calorimeter and water=Heat lost by Steam via condensation +Heat lost by 100 degree celcius of water(after condensation) to 50 degree celcius
2) For question 2, I think that you require the concept of thermal equilibrium. Since the energy released by the water is not enough to melt all the ice, it logically follows that some ice remains and the remaining water is also at 0 degree celsius as all of their heat ennergy is lost to melt the ice.

What is a calorimeter and how does it work?

A calorimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change. It works by placing a substance or sample inside an insulated container and measuring the temperature change of the surrounding environment.

How do I solve Q1 Calorimeter?

To solve Q1 Calorimeter, you will need to use the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will also need to know the initial and final temperatures of the substance. Plug in the values and solve for Q.

What is the difference between Q1 Calorimeter and Q2 Ice & Water?

Q1 Calorimeter involves measuring the heat transfer of a substance, while Q2 Ice & Water involves calculating the amount of heat absorbed or released during a phase change. Q1 uses the equation Q = mCΔT, while Q2 uses the equation Q = mL, where m is the mass, C is the specific heat capacity or latent heat, and ΔT or L is the change in temperature or latent heat of fusion/vaporization.

How do I solve for the specific heat capacity in Q1 Calorimeter?

To solve for the specific heat capacity in Q1 Calorimeter, you will need to rearrange the equation Q = mCΔT to solve for C. You will also need to know the mass and change in temperature of the substance. Once you have the values, plug them in and solve for C.

What do I need to know to solve Q2 Ice & Water?

To solve Q2 Ice & Water, you will need to know the mass of the substance, the initial and final temperatures, and the latent heat of fusion or vaporization for the substance. You will also need to use the equation Q = mL and plug in the values to solve for Q, the amount of heat transferred during the phase change.