How Can I Solve These Thermal Physics Problems?

In summary, In the first question, an aluminum cube is heated from 50° C to 150° C in a chamber at atmospheric pressure. The work done is 8x10^-3 m^3. If the same process was carried out in a vacuum, the change in internal energy would be zero. The second question asks how much work is needed to compress 4.0 g of oxygen at STP down to 1/3 its original volume, keeping the temperature constant. The answer is 1.8x10^5 JW.
vitaly
Hi, I'm a high school physics student, and I'm having problems with two questions:

1. An aluminum cube 20 cm on a side is heated from 50° C to 150° C in a chamber at atmospheric pressure. Determine the work done by the cube and the change in its internal energy. If the same process was carried out in a vacuum, what would be the change in internal energy?
2. Determine the amount of work needed to compress 4.0 g of oxygen at STP down to 1/3 its original volume, keeping the temperature constant. Assume it behaves as an ideal gas.

I tried to solve them myself, and my work is shown below, but I do not think the answers are correct. If anybody could please guide me, or correct me, that would be very helpful. If there's an error, could you please explain why it is wrong? I would really like to know what I am doing, and not just get the right answers. Thank you.

Here are my solutions (that I am not sure of):
1. W = PV
1 atm = 1.01x10^5 Pa (process is isobaric; pressure is constant.)
Volume = 20 cm^3 = 20 cm^3 x (1 m^3/100 cm^3) = 8x10^-3 m^3
W = (1.01x10^5 Pa)(8x10^-3 m^3)
= 808 J
Work is 808 Joules

U = Q - W
Q = cmT
Specific heat capacity (c) of aluminum is 900 J/(kg)(K)
Mass (m) is 0.0269 kg (26.9 g/1000)
150 degrees - 50 degrees = 100 degrees = 373 K
Q = (900 J/(kg)(K))(.0269kg)(373 K)
= 9030 J
U = Q - W
= 9030 J - 808 J
= 8222 J
Change in internal pressure is 8222 J

If the process was carried out in a vacuum, the work (w) would be zero. Thus, the internal energy would be the Q - 0, which is equal to 9030 J.

2. STP constants: V = 22.4 L and P = 1.01x10^5 Pa
W = nRTV(f)/V(I) or PV(V(f))/(V(I))
N = number of moles = 4 g * (1 mole/16 g) = .25 mole
Volume = .25 mole * (22.4 L/1 mole) = 5.6 L
W = PV(F)/(I)
= (1.01x10^5 Pa)(5.6 L)(1)/3
= 1.8x10^5 J

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W = P \Delta V [/tex]

You don't do work unless you change the volume. Does the volume change ?

You're using the wrong formula for Isothermal Work done. Check the formula.

Oh, really? I'm just using the formulas my teacher provided...

I would just like to know whether or not these solutions are possible. My physics teacher says she's not too picky about the final answer; she just wants to see how we got to our solutions. So, I would mainly like to know whether or not you guys think that these solutions are possible or if they're completely wrong.

I think his using correct formula, but first you must find the volume change:
[itex] \frac {P_1 V_1} {T_1} = \frac {P_2 V_2} {T_2} [/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, temperature, and their relationship to energy and work. It also involves the study of the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically how particles and energy interact with each other.

2. Why is thermal physics important?

Thermal physics is important because it helps us understand and explain many natural phenomena, such as the transfer of heat, phase transitions, and the behavior of materials at different temperatures. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

3. What are some key concepts in thermal physics?

Some key concepts in thermal physics include temperature, heat, thermal equilibrium, specific heat, thermal conductivity, and the laws of thermodynamics. These concepts help us understand how heat and energy are transferred and how they affect the behavior of matter.

4. How does thermal physics relate to other branches of physics?

Thermal physics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It also has connections to other fields, such as chemistry, engineering, and astronomy, as heat and energy play important roles in these disciplines.

5. How can I apply thermal physics in real life?

Thermal physics has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it helps us understand how to insulate our homes to conserve energy, how to design more efficient engines and refrigerators, and how to control the temperature in industrial processes. It also has medical applications, such as using heat to treat injuries and diseases.