1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal physics How would I go about this one?

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    We just started this stuff and I'm not too good at it, I was able to figure out most of my homework from a thread I posted earlier today and a lot of reading, but this question still stumps me... If you could just get me started on which equation to use, what the concept is behind it, I'm sure I'll be able to figure out the rest from there.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Hint: Gravitational potential energy is being converted to heat! Find out the how much grav. potential energy is converted to heat energy, and then find out the temperature change.

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    Okay, so I used Ug=mgh [Ug=.2(9.8)(1.5)] and I go 2.94J. Now I need to put that into the equation Q=mc(deltaT). So can I just use Ug=Q?

2.94=.2(29)(deltaT)?

I don't think this is right because I get .5C.

EDIT: Erm wait... I forgot to multiply that by 50... Now I have 25C. This could be right, did I do everything correctly?)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like it... :smile:

Daniel.

PS.That 29J Kg^{-1}K^{-1} looks terribly small...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?