1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal physics question

1. Jun 14, 2003 #1
    Right I am so stumped on part b of this question so I will post part a too so that you guys may check to see if I did that correctly.

a) object heated to 230 celius is placed inside a 25 celius room. Determine net rate of heat
    loss due to raiation if object has surface area of 68 cm^2 and an emissivity of

b) estimate the temp of object after 1 min if its density is 3.60 *10^3 kg/m^3 and its
    specific heat is 768 J/kg*degress celius.

My work for a)

Actually I used a simliar equation to solve the first problem

change in Q/time = q for limitations of kboard
    emissivity=e
    bolstman constant= o
    temp = T, Te= temp of environment To=temp of obj
    a=area

q=eoA(Te^4-To^4)

so my quation for a was

q=.78(5.67*10^-8)(.68)(25^4-230^4)
    q= -84.1 w/s

as for part b I have no idea how to work density into any of the equations I have at all.... driving me mad

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2003 #2
    First of all, i am not really an expert so if this is very important maybe waiting for someone that knows more than me would be better.
    For part a :
    If the unit of the bolstman constant you are using is Watt/(m2.k4) then you made a mistake.
    You see, 68 cm2 does not equal 0.68 m2, it actually equals 0.0068 m2.
    Another thing, the final unit of the answer (since it is a rate of energy loose) will be Joule/S (or Watt) and not Watt/S in the SI system.
    Now for part b:
    I see now way to solve this part unless you are given one of two information :
    1-The shape of the object (a cube, sphere ... etc)
    2-The volume of the object
    If you are given neither of those, i see no way to solve it

4. Jun 14, 2003 #3
    ah yes quite right the units were actually a typo meant to say J/s so that would be a watt. As for the .68m^2 I guess you are correct there, I see how that would be done now. The boltsman constant was given as that value from my text, I did not calculate it but I did not bother with units. I thought perhaps I could get mass through something like this:

3.60*10^5kg/m^3 and .0068m^2, so .0068^.5 = m(meters)

3.60*10^5kg/.0068^1.5
    m= 642006066.3 kg? well I guess not that mass is waaaay to huge.... Can anyone tell me how to get mass given density, specific heat capacity and area?? Or any equations even involving density?

I have figured out how I could end up solving the final temp for b and my equation is this:

Let answer of part a= Q

Tf= ((Q*60)/(c*mass))+Ti

Came from:

cm(Tf-Ti)/t = eoA(Te^4-T^4) Note: I solved right side in part a and that equals Q.

Anyway if I get mass this will not be a hard problem however as you said I am missing vital info and this is driving me mad, I have a test on this unit on monday and a final on wensday.

So I have: Ti=230 celius (object), 25 celius room, surface area = 68 cm^2, emissivity = .78, time = 60 s, density = 3.60*10^3 kg/m^3 and specific heat capacity = 768 j?kg celius. Need mass....

5. Jun 15, 2003 #4
    You see, the only connection between mass and density is volume.
    If D=Density, M=Mass, and V=Volume then :
    D=M/V
    Now, you will either be given the volume, or given a clue that will lead u to what the volume is.
    The only 'clue' that i can see is the area of surface, but this is not enough, since a certain area of surface does not lead to a certain volume unless you know the shape (i mean, you might have a cube with the area of suface 68 cm2 and a sphere with the same area of surface, but they will not both have the same volume !).

(ok, you already know all of the following in small font, i don't know why i typed it !)
    Now, let's suppose you figured out the volume someway, and called it V. Then:
    M=D*V
    Also remmember that E(nergy)=P(ower)*t(ime)
    P=Q in our question, and t=60 sec
    so :
    E=60Q
    Now, the specific heat is : "the quantity of energy that 1kg of a certain material gains when it is heated 1 celsius degree"
    Remember that the heat energy is proportional with mass, and with [del]T (where T is temprature)
    So :
    E = Sheat*M*[del]T (you can simply memorize this rule, or figure it out)
    In our case :
    60Q = 768*(D*V)*[del]T
    (remember that E = 60Q (in our case) , M=D*V )
    Solve for [del]T
    [del]T = (60*Q)/(768*D*V)
    T2 - T1 = (60*Q)/(768*D*V)
    T2 = (60*Q)/(768*D*V) + 230
    (since T1 = 230)

Good enough ?

Back to where we got stuck, the volume !
    Let's suppose that the object is a cube.
    The area of surface of a cube = 8*l2 where l is the length of any side.
    The volume of the cube is l3
    0.0068 = 8*l2
    l2=0.00085
    l=~0.029154759474
    V=l3=~2.478154555309252e-5 m3
    This is just an example, IF the object was a cube.
    EDIT:
    I figured out there is another mistake in your first answer (sorry). The temprature should be first converted to Kelvin before plugging it in the Boltsman Law.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  6. Jun 15, 2003 #5
    Right I think this question is another of my teachers errors so I'm solivng as cube cause no toher shape is givin.

.0068=8S^2
    S=.02915 m

Kg/m^3=3600
    kg=3600m^3
    kg=3600(.0291)^3
    kg=0.089 approx

cm(Tf-Ti)=eo(Ti^4-Te^4)A*t note t=time

Tf= ((eo(Ti^4-Te^4)At)/c*m)+Ti
    Tf= 313 k = 39.8 celius (Assumming obj is a cube)

And revised ans for part A was change in Q/s= 16.9 watts

Btw this forum was a good help, will come back here if I have trouble in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?