Changes in Density of Water Vapor Under Constant Volume and Temperature

In summary, the question asks about the density change of water vapor when it is heated from 403.15k to 463.15k at a constant volume of 3m^2 with an initial pressure of 10^5pa. Using the equations PV = nRT and D = M/V, we can determine that the density change is dependent on the change in mass and volume of the steam, which can be calculated by using the given information and equations.
renlok

Homework Statement

water vapor is heated from 403.15k to 463.15k and is kept at a constant volume of 3m^2 its initial pressure is 10^5pa what is the density change?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT, D = M/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to go with this i found the final pressure with [tex]P_2 = \frac{P_1.T_2}{T_1}[/tex] but I am not sure this helped i also tried with P(M/D) = nRT but as you don't know M its not very helpful. I also though about using [tex]\delta{M} = \frac{\delta{E}}{c^2}[/tex] but couldn't find E without the mass...

Physics news on Phys.org
renlok said:

Homework Statement

water vapor is heated from 403.15k to 463.15k and is kept at a constant volume of 3m^2 its initial pressure is 10^5pa what is the density change?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT, D = M/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to go with this i found the final pressure with [tex]P_2 = \frac{P_1.T_2}{T_1}[/tex] but I am not sure this helped i also tried with P(M/D) = nRT but as you don't know M its not very helpful. I also though about using [tex]\delta{M} = \frac{\delta{E}}{c^2}[/tex] but couldn't find E without the mass...
You have that the density ρ is the mass of the steam M divided by the volume V it occupies. How did M and V change when the water vapor was heated?

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically focusing on the properties of atoms and molecules related to temperature, heat, and energy.

2. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from one substance to another due to a difference in temperature.

3. How does thermal equilibrium occur?

Thermal equilibrium occurs when two objects at different temperatures are placed in contact with each other and heat transfer between them stops, resulting in both objects having the same temperature.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

5. How does thermal expansion work?

Thermal expansion occurs when a substance expands or contracts due to a change in temperature. This is because the particles in the substance vibrate faster or slower, causing them to take up more or less space.