Thermal Physics: Reaction problem

In summary, the student is trying to determine the equilibrium concentrations of four substances in an undisturbed system.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Hi all, I am having issues with the following problem. Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The "law of mass action" I know of is just the equilibrium constant, which I wrote in terms of partial pressures at equiilbrium
$$K = \frac{P_{N_2}^2 P_{H_2 0}^6 }{ P_{std} P_{NH_3}^4 P_{O_2}^3 }$$

b) I don't understand the problem here, what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?

c) I was thinking of attempting to obtain an expression for partial pressures at equilibrium, in terms of the individual partition functions. However, I don't think this is at all an efficient way of working it out. There is another equation
$$K = e^{-\Delta _r G_0 / RT}$$
but the change in molar Gibbs function at standard temperature and pressure is given by a sum over chemical potentials evaluated at standard and pressure (with some coefficients), which when expressed as partition functions seem rather complicated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?
Just a guess, but could it mean to include intermediate products?

haruspex said:
Just a guess, but could it mean to include intermediate products?

What does it mean to include intermediate products? Apologies but I'm not familiar with chemical reactions

Pstd should be in the numerator, not the denominator.

Likes WWCY
Would it be alright if perhaps someone assisted me with c) instead of b)? I'll have to get my instructor to tell me what's going on in part b.

Thanks!

WWCY said:
Would it be alright if perhaps someone assisted me with c) instead of b)? I'll have to get my instructor to tell me what's going on in part b.

Thanks!
I can help you with part b. Suppose you had a mixture of the four species that was not at equilibrium, and you knew the total pressure and the mole fractions of the four species in this initial state. Assuming that the reaction took place at constant total pressure, would you be able to determine the mole fractions (or partial pressures) of the four species when equilibrium was attained?

WWCY said:
what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?

Find amounts (concentrations, partial pressures, whatever) of all substances present.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to give this a bit of a think as I'm not well acquainted with the topic yet.

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems at the macroscopic level, specifically focusing on the relationship between temperature, heat, and energy.

2. What is a reaction problem in thermal physics?

A reaction problem in thermal physics involves analyzing the changes in temperature, heat, and energy of a system as a result of a physical or chemical reaction.

3. How do you solve a reaction problem in thermal physics?

To solve a reaction problem in thermal physics, you need to apply the laws of thermodynamics and use mathematical equations to calculate the changes in temperature, heat, and energy of the system before and after the reaction.

4. What are some real-world applications of thermal physics?

Thermal physics has many practical applications, including designing and optimizing heating and cooling systems, developing materials with specific thermal properties, and understanding the behavior of gases and fluids in various environments.

5. How does thermal physics relate to other branches of physics?

Thermal physics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in other fields, including chemistry, engineering, and environmental science.