Solving 0.02 kg Ice and 0.10 kg Water at 0°C to Melted State

In summary, the exercise requires the calculation of the amount of water in a container after steam is passed in to melt all the ice. Using the equations for latent heat and specific heat capacity, the total heat required for the phase change and change in temperature of the water is calculated. It is important to include units for all given quantities. The correct answer is 0.1225 kg of water in the container.
risingabove

Homework Statement

0.02 kg of ice and 0.10 kg of water at 0 degrees Celsius are in a container. steam at 100 degrees Celsius is passed in until all the ice is just melted. How much water is now in the container?

Specific latent heat of steam = 2.3 * 10^6 J/kg
Specific latent heat of ice = 3.4 * 10^5 J/kg
Specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 * 10^3 J/kg/K

Homework Equations

latent heat Q = mL
Specific Heat Capacity Q = mCT

Where Q = Heat required
m = mass of substance
C = Specific heat Capacity
T = change in Temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

Using latent heat equation, the heat required for a phase change from ice to water

Q = 0.02 (3.4 x 10^5)
= 6800 J

Using Specific heat capacity equation, the heat require for water

Q = 0.10(4.2 x 10^3)100
= 42,000 J

Total heat required

6800 + 42000 = 48,800 J

plugging in 48,800 into latent heat equation for steam

48,800 = m (2.3 x 10^6)
m = 0.0212 kg

will this answer be the mass of the water in the container?
or am i missing steps or is completely wrong with my workings?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Units, units, units! Always includes units for all the given quantities!

I understand you want to use some heat to melt the ice. But what is it you want to do with the water ?

I am trying to find out how much water now in the container after the steam as passed in...the answer suppose to be 0.1225 kg , I am not understanding where i must have gone wrong... or if i missed out a step.

Repeat: it looks as if you want to heat the water to 100 degrees. Why ?

Well i was thinking in lines of finding out the heat required to raise the temperature of water in the container to 100 degrees celsius. since that will be the new temperature in the container when steam passes through ... finding that heat required for the change of water temperature, i added it to the heat required for the phase change from ice to water to give me total amount of heat in the system...which i then used in the equation for latent heat of steam...

The exercise asks for the amount of heat to just melt the ice (6800 J as you calculated). Water and ice are at equilibrium at 0 C, so if the last bit of ice melts, the temperature is still 0 C ! In other words: the whole thing is played out at 0 C. Steam condenses at 100 C, so it sure condenses at 0 C. Heat given off is latent heat plus ... ?

Pity you already know the answer; something of a spoiler.

It is remarkable how much bigger the latent heat at phase change liq -> vapour is than at solid -> liquid ! A factor of 7. So even if you miss the plus ... you expect not to need more than 3 grams of steam to melt 20 grams of ice. 100 + 20 + 3 = 123 grams, quite close to the right answer of 122.5 grams...

OMGGGGGG... i can't believe i missed something soo simple...arggggghhh ...thanks tho...

Sometimes lines of thought are so powerful they become blocking. If you can learn to challenge your own ideas equally well as you are able to challenge those of others, you gain something very precious. Lateral thinking is too modest a term for it. Wisdom comes with age, but the earlier you start the better :smile: .

Likes 1 person

1. How much energy is required to melt 0.02 kg of ice and 0.10 kg of water at 0°C?

The energy required to melt 0.02 kg of ice and 0.10 kg of water at 0°C is calculated by using the formula Q = m * L, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, and L is the latent heat of fusion. The latent heat of fusion for water is 334 kJ/kg. Therefore, the energy required is 334 kJ/kg * 0.02 kg + 0.10 kg = 6.68 kJ + 33.4 kJ = 40.08 kJ.

2. How long will it take for 0.02 kg of ice and 0.10 kg of water at 0°C to melt?

The time required for 0.02 kg of ice and 0.10 kg of water at 0°C to melt depends on the rate of energy supply. Assuming a constant energy supply of 40.08 kJ, the time can be calculated using the formula t = Q/P, where t is the time, Q is the heat energy, and P is the power. If we consider a power of 1000 watts, the time required would be 40.08 kJ / 1000 watts = 0.04 seconds.

3. What happens to the temperature of the ice and water during the melting process?

During the melting process, the temperature of the ice and water will remain constant at 0°C until all the ice is melted. This is because the heat energy is being used to break the bonds between the ice molecules, rather than increasing the temperature. Once all the ice is melted, the temperature of the water will start to increase.

4. Can the melting process be reversed?

Yes, the melting process can be reversed by cooling the water back down to 0°C. As the temperature decreases, the water will start to freeze and return to its solid state as ice. This is known as the freezing process and it is the reverse of the melting process.

5. What factors can affect the melting process?

Some factors that can affect the melting process include the initial temperature of the ice and water, the rate of energy supply, the pressure, and the presence of impurities in the water. For example, adding salt to water can lower its freezing point, making it more difficult for the ice to melt. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also affect the melting point of water.