Calculating Thermal Power Produced by Friction for a Sliding Rock

In summary: F=0.2*20*9.8 = 39.2N. v_avg is the average velocity, which is v/2 since it starts at 8 m/s and ends at 0 m/s.The equation for average power is P_avg = F*v_avg, so we plug in the values we know: P_avg = 39.2*4 = 156.8 W.
Thesnail
Hello, here is the problem I've been stuck on. It seems simple but I am getting the wrong answer. Any help would be appreciated.

A 20.0-kg rock is sliding on a rough, horizontal surface at 8.00 m/s and eventually stops due to friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and the surface is 0.200.

What average thermal power is produced as the rock stops?

My answers thus far are

They were all wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thesnail said:
Hello, here is the problem I've been stuck on. It seems simple but I am getting the wrong answer. Any help would be appreciated.

A 20.0-kg rock is sliding on a rough, horizontal surface at 8.00 m/s and eventually stops due to friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and the surface is 0.200.

My answers thus far are

They were all wrong.
You are right. They are all wrong. Besides, you don't have any units. What are the units of power here?

Perhaps you could explain your thinking first. How did you analyse the problem?

AM

Thesnail said:

My answers thus far are

They were all wrong.
How do you think this problem should be done? Your wrong answers do not tell us what you are thinking.

Thanks Andrew for responding.

It should be in W.

for DeltaX I did ((1/2)(.2)(9.8*20kg))/8ms that got me the distance 2.45m

Then I solved for acceleration and got 13.0612

Then I solved for force which was 13.0612*20kg = 261.224

I also solved for time which was .6125s

so I did V average of 2.45m/.6125s and got 4ms

So then I had everything I needed. to solve for Power average

P_av= F*V_av

So it was 261.224*4ms = 1044.9

But it said that was wrong? I don't know why.

Thanks, again for responding

Thanks you guys for responding to my question. I hope we can figure it out.

Okay, I solved it.

it was : ((mg)(friction)(x))/(time)

((9.80)(20)(.2)(2.45)/(.6125s) = 156.8 W

Thesnail said:
Okay, I solved it.

it was : ((mg)(friction)(x))/(time)

((9.80)(20)(.2)(2.45)/(.6125s) = 156.8 W

I am not sure how you determined x and time. One way to look at it is:

[tex]P_{avg} = Fv_{avg} = \mu_k mg\Delta v/2 = .2*20*9.8*4 = 156.8 W[/tex]

AM

i don't get it...
F=mg
V[tex]_{}ave[/tex]= v/2

but where did the [tex]\mu[/tex] came from?

Andrew Mason said:
I am not sure how you determined x and time. One way to look at it is:

[tex]P_{avg} = Fv_{avg} = \mu_k mg\Delta v/2 = .2*20*9.8*4 = 156.8 W[/tex]

AM

what equations did manipulate to arrive at this one [tex]P_{avg} = Fv_{avg} = \mu_k mg\Delta v/2 = .2*20*9.8*4 = 156.8 W[/tex]

F is not mg. F = umg or in other words the force of friction.

1. What is thermal power?

Thermal power refers to the energy that is generated by converting heat into electricity. It is produced by using thermal energy sources such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear power to heat water and produce steam that drives turbines to generate electricity.

2. What are the main challenges associated with thermal power?

The main challenges associated with thermal power include the high cost of building and maintaining power plants, the environmental impact of using fossil fuels, and the potential for accidents or malfunctions in nuclear power plants.

3. How does thermal power contribute to global warming?

Thermal power plants emit large amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which contribute to the greenhouse effect and global warming. Burning fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas also releases pollutants that can harm the environment and human health.

4. What are some alternative sources of thermal power?

Some alternative sources of thermal power include solar thermal energy, geothermal energy, and biomass energy. These sources use the heat from the sun, the Earth's core, or organic materials to generate electricity without producing greenhouse gas emissions.

5. How can thermal power be made more sustainable?

Thermal power can be made more sustainable by investing in technologies that reduce emissions and improve efficiency, such as carbon capture and storage and combined heat and power systems. Additionally, transitioning to renewable sources of thermal energy can help reduce the environmental impact of power generation.