Solving the Hardest Thermal Process Question: Find W/Q Ratio

• Thread starter Dooh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult question in the field of thermodynamics involving the expansion of water when heated in an open pan. The goal is to find the ratio of work done by the water to the heat absorbed by the water. The formula W/Q is suggested, with W being defined as P(Vf-Vi). However, there is confusion over what Q represents, with one person suggesting Q=cm delta T and questioning whether calories were converted to Joules.
Dooh
This question is considered one of the hardest in this chapter regarding thermodynamics. I spent countless time trying to figure it out but i was never close to the answer. The question is:

Water is heated in an open pan where the air pressure is 1atm. WAter remains a liquid but expanded by a small amount when it was heated. FIND THE RATIO OF WORK DONE BY WATER TO THE HEAD ABSOBED BY THE WATER.

So that means:

W / Q

where W = P(Vf - Vi)
but what's Q? I tried Q = cm delta T but i was wrong. if anyone can help me i'd appreciate it thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q=cm delta T seems right. Did you convert calories to Joules?

I understand the frustration and difficulty of trying to solve complex thermodynamic problems. In order to solve this particular question, we need to first clarify the meaning of Q. In thermodynamics, Q represents the heat absorbed or released by a system during a process. In this case, Q would represent the heat absorbed by the water as it is heated in the open pan.

To find the W/Q ratio, we need to calculate both W and Q. As you correctly stated, W can be calculated using the equation W = P(Vf - Vi), where P is the pressure and Vf and Vi are the final and initial volumes of the water, respectively. However, in order to calculate Q, we need to use the specific heat capacity of water (c) and the change in temperature (delta T) of the water.

To find the change in temperature, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles of water and R is the gas constant. Since the water remains a liquid, we can assume that n and R remain constant and therefore, PV is directly proportional to T. This means that as the volume of the water increases due to expansion, the temperature will also increase.

Once we have calculated Q, we can then divide W by Q to find the W/Q ratio. This ratio will give us an understanding of the efficiency of the process, as it represents the amount of work done by the water compared to the amount of heat absorbed.

In conclusion, solving this thermal process question requires a combination of understanding thermodynamic principles and utilizing equations to calculate the necessary values. I hope this explanation helps in your understanding and approach to solving this challenging problem.

What is the purpose of finding the W/Q ratio in thermal processes?

The W/Q ratio, also known as the work to heat ratio, is a measure of the efficiency of a thermal process. It tells us how much work is required to transfer a certain amount of heat, and can help us determine the most efficient way to perform a thermal process.

How do you calculate the W/Q ratio?

The W/Q ratio is calculated by dividing the work done (W) by the heat transferred (Q). This can be expressed in different units, such as joules per joule or watts per watt, depending on the specific application. It is important to use consistent units when calculating the W/Q ratio.

What factors can affect the W/Q ratio?

The W/Q ratio can be affected by various factors, such as the type of thermal process being performed, the materials and equipment used, and the efficiency of the system. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the W/Q ratio.

Why is it important to solve for the W/Q ratio in thermal processes?

Solving for the W/Q ratio allows us to evaluate the efficiency of a thermal process and make improvements if necessary. It can also help us compare different processes and determine the most efficient method for achieving a desired outcome. Additionally, understanding the W/Q ratio can aid in the design and optimization of thermal systems.

In what industries or applications is knowledge of the W/Q ratio useful?

The W/Q ratio is useful in many industries and applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and heating and cooling systems. It is also relevant in manufacturing processes, chemical reactions, and other thermal processes. Essentially, any industry or process that involves the transfer of heat can benefit from understanding and optimizing the W/Q ratio.