Thermal Processes: Solving P1, V1, P2, V2 and Volume-Pressure Questions

• Thread starter dalitwil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary: The first question is extrememly confusing, because it must mean that the temperature is being held constant (and also not given) so the change in internal energy should equal 0, which it doesn't. I cannot find W, without temperature and moles. I am really stuck :frown:The first question is extrememly confusing, because it must mean that the temperature is being held constant (and also not given) so the change in internal energy should equal 0, which it doesn't. I cannot find W, without temperature and moles. I am really stuck :frown:
dalitwil
Ok guys, my last questions of the semester, Yay!

So I have two of them, one pertaining to a figure (attached), which has me terribly confused:

1.) In the figure (attached), if P1 = 133 kPa, V1 = 1123 cm3 and P2 = 200 kPa, V2 = 10000 cm3, what is the heat absorbed (+) or liberated (-), to the nearest joule, in Path 2? Assume the change in internal energy is 8900 J.

My Work (Reasoning):
I am assuming that W=0, simply because the path appears to be only vertical, So using ΔU=Q-W, we can say that ΔU=Q (because W=0) and ΔU is given as 8900 J, so wouldn't this be the answer? (It is not)

2.) 10 moles of a gas in thermal contact with an oil bath at temperature 300 K is compressed isothermally from a volume of 7541 cm3 to a volume of 1561 cm3. To the nearest joule what is the work done by the piston?

My Work:
W would simply equal nRT*ln(Vf/Vi)
Plugging in the knowns leaves me with -131
This is incorrect. (using the reasoning that ΔU=0)

Any ideas guys?

Attachments

• twopro.gif
    twopro.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
dalitwil said:
I am assuming that W=0, simply because the path appears to be only vertical

Any ideas guys?

I just took a quick look- so this is totally off the cuff, but have you included the whole path? I think the intent is to go from point 1 to point 2, part horizontal and part vertical

dalitwil said:
Ok guys, my last questions of the semester, Yay!

So I have two of them, one pertaining to a figure (attached), which has me terribly confused:

1.) In the figure (attached), if P1 = 133 kPa, V1 = 1123 cm3 and P2 = 200 kPa, V2 = 10000 cm3, what is the heat absorbed (+) or liberated (-), to the nearest joule, in Path 2? Assume the change in internal energy is 8900 J.

My Work (Reasoning):
I am assuming that W=0, simply because the path appears to be only vertical, So using ΔU=Q-W, we can say that ΔU=Q (because W=0) and ΔU is given as 8900 J, so wouldn't this be the answer? (It is not)
As Dan says, the path is from 1 to 2 so you have to look at the horizontal part. I am a little confused by the assumption that change in internal energy is 8900 J.

2.) 10 moles of a gas in thermal contact with an oil bath at temperature 300 K is compressed isothermally from a volume of 7541 cm3 to a volume of 1561 cm3. To the nearest joule what is the work done by the piston?

My Work:
W would simply equal nRT*ln(Vf/Vi)
Plugging in the knowns leaves me with -131
This is incorrect. (using the reasoning that ΔU=0)
Your approach is correct. Try the numbers again. I think you forgot to factor in the temperature.[/QUOTE]

AM

The first question is extrememly confusing, because it must mean that the temperature is being held constant (and also not given) so the change in internal energy should equal 0, which it doesn't. I cannot find W, without temperature and moles. I am really stuck :frown:

dalitwil said:
The first question is extrememly confusing, because it must mean that the temperature is being held constant (and also not given) so the change in internal energy should equal 0, which it doesn't. I cannot find W, without temperature and moles. I am really stuck :frown:
The temperature is not constant:

[tex]T = PV/nR[/tex]

So:[tex]T_2/T_1 = P_2V_2/P_1V_1 \ne 1[/tex]

I think you have to ignore the assumption that the change in internal energy is 8900 J. The change in internal energy is:

[tex]\Delta U = \Delta (PV) = P_2V_2 - P_1V_1 = 1850 J[/tex]

The work done by the gas from 1 to 2 is [itex] W = P_1(V_2 - V_1)[/itex]

The heat added is the sum of the work done + change in internal energy.

AM

1. What is the equation for solving P1, V1, P2, V2 and volume-pressure questions in thermal processes?

The equation for solving these types of questions is the combined gas law, which states that P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, and T represents temperature. This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on what information is given in the problem.

2. How do I know which values to use for P1, V1, P2, and V2 in the combined gas law equation?

The values for P1, V1, P2, and V2 will be given in the problem or can be determined from the information given. It is important to pay attention to the units of measurement and make sure they are consistent throughout the equation.

3. Can the combined gas law equation be used for all types of thermal processes?

Yes, the combined gas law equation can be used for any thermal process that involves changes in pressure, volume, and temperature. However, it is important to note that this equation is only valid for ideal gases and may not accurately represent real-world situations.

4. How do I convert between different units of measurement in the combined gas law equation?

To convert between different units of measurement, you can use conversion factors or online unit converters. It is important to make sure all units are consistent throughout the equation to get an accurate result.

5. Can the combined gas law equation be used to solve for other variables besides P1, V1, P2, and V2?

Yes, the combined gas law equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, including temperature. This can be useful if one of the variables is not given in the problem and needs to be calculated.