Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal properties of copper

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    If I sleep on copper would there be any beneficial release of negative Ions to improve my well being. In addition, will the thermal properties of copper stabilize my body temperature at 37.5c.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll take the last question first...

In short. No.

For an object to be at a stable temperature there must be an energy balance. The energy entering the object must be exactly equal to the energy lost by the object.

In the case of your body the energy loses depend on things like the temperature of the room and how well insulated your body is from it (eg how thick are the blankets). Quite a lot of heat is lost through the head so bald people probably have higher heat losses then people with all their hair.

The energy entering your body comes from the food you eat. However because humans are warm blooded they can to some extent regulate this process to maintain a constant temperature..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_blooded

Copper is a good conductor of heat so sleeping on a sheet of copper is likely to increase heat losses making you loose heat if the room is colder than 37.5C. Your body may well be able to correct for this and still maintain your normal core temperature. However you might feel colder because the skin senses the additional heat loss.

I'm not aware of a mechanisim by which a sheet of copper could release negative ions in the situation you describe.

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What negative ions are you referring to? This sounds like one of those medical crackpot products or techniques that throw some scientific mumbo jumbo at you and try to tell you it's healthy for you.

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Drakkith, you're being a bit negative yourself. I'm sure this has all been well researched and documented in some comic book somewhere.

6. Jul 8, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, just like the "new element" in Iron Man 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook