Thermal Question, I seem to be doing something wrong

• Thread starter Brianjw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation error in finding the amount of heat conducted by an insulated metal rod that results in the melting of 7.80g of ice in a specific time frame. The correct formula is used but there are errors in unit conversions and considering the temperature difference as a temperature to be converted. The heat flow should be measured in J/sec instead of J/min.
Brianjw
Well I swear I am doing this right but something seems that its the wrong answer as the website I enter it into is rejecting it. If you see a flaw in my methods let me know:

The two ends of an insulated metal rod are maintained at a temperature differential of 100 degrees C . The rod has a length of 73.3 cm and a cross-sectional area of 1.06 cm^2. The heat conducted by the rod melts a mass of 7.80g of ice in a time of 11.3 min

So what I did was first find the amount of energy required to melt the ice without changing the temperature which uses Q = m*L

therefore:

[tex] .0078kg * 3.34 * 10^5 J/Kg = 2605.2 [/tex]

then I use the formula:

[tex] H = Area*k*(T_h - T_c)/L [/tex]

I need to find k for the answer in terms of W/m*k

So since H = dQ/dt I get, 2605.2/11.3 = 230.549
Using the above forumla and converting Celcius to Kelvin I have:

[tex] 230.549J/min = .000106 m^2 * k * 373.15K/.733m^2 [/tex]

which gives me approx 4270. Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Brianjw said:
Using the above forumla and converting Celcius to Kelvin I have:

[tex] 230.549J/min = .000106 m^2 * k * 373.15K/.733m^2 [/tex]
For some reason you treated the temperature difference as if it were a temperature that needed converting. No need to "convert": 100 C-degrees = 100 K-degrees.

Another problem: measure heat flow in J/sec, not J/min.

for sharing your approach and calculations. It seems like your method and calculations are correct, but there may be a few potential areas where things could have gone wrong. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Make sure you are using the correct units throughout your calculations. In your first equation, you used J/kg as the unit for specific latent heat, but in the second equation, you used J/min as the unit for heat transfer rate. Make sure to convert all units to the same system before plugging them into equations.

2. Double check your cross-sectional area. In the second equation, you used 0.000106 m^2, but in the given information, the cross-sectional area is 1.06 cm^2. Make sure to convert the units to the same system before using them in calculations.

3. Check your conversion from Celsius to Kelvin. In the second equation, you used 373.15 K, but that is the conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit, not Kelvin. The correct conversion is simply adding 273.15 to the Celsius temperature.

4. Lastly, make sure to check your final answer and see if it makes sense. In this case, the value of 4270 for thermal conductivity seems a bit high. It may be worth double checking your calculations to see if there was a mistake somewhere.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your calculations.

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that an object possesses due to the motion of its particles. It is also known as heat energy and is responsible for the sensation of warmth or hotness.

What is the difference between thermal energy and temperature?

Thermal energy is the total energy of the particles in an object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of those particles. In other words, thermal energy is the sum of all the energy of the particles, while temperature is the average of that energy.

How is thermal energy transferred?

Thermal energy can be transferred through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How can I reduce thermal energy loss in my home?

To reduce thermal energy loss in your home, you can improve insulation, seal air leaks, and use energy-efficient windows and doors. You can also lower your thermostat and use energy-efficient heating and cooling systems. Additionally, using natural light and turning off appliances when not in use can also help reduce thermal energy loss.