1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Question, I seem to be doing something wrong

1. Jul 19, 2004 #1
    Well I swear I am doing this right but something seems that its the wrong answer as the website I enter it into is rejecting it. If you see a flaw in my methods let me know:

The two ends of an insulated metal rod are maintained at a temperature differential of 100 degrees C . The rod has a length of 73.3 cm and a cross-sectional area of 1.06 cm^2. The heat conducted by the rod melts a mass of 7.80g of ice in a time of 11.3 min

So what I did was first find the amount of energy required to melt the ice without changing the temperature which uses Q = m*L

therefore:

[tex] .0078kg * 3.34 * 10^5 J/Kg = 2605.2 [/tex]

then I use the formula:

[tex] H = Area*k*(T_h - T_c)/L [/tex]

I need to find k for the answer in terms of W/m*k

So since H = dQ/dt I get, 2605.2/11.3 = 230.549
    Using the above forumla and converting Celcius to Kelvin I have:

[tex] 230.549J/min = .000106 m^2 * k * 373.15K/.733m^2 [/tex]

which gives me approx 4270. Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For some reason you treated the temperature difference as if it were a temperature that needed converting. No need to "convert": 100 C-degrees = 100 K-degrees.

Another problem: measure heat flow in J/sec, not J/min.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?