Thermal radiation experiment, question

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment on the effects of thermal radiation on water temperature. The results showed non-linear fluctuations in temperature, possibly due to factors such as convection currents and thermal conductivity. More information about the experiment setup is needed to further understand the results.
Santio
Hiya, I'm doing an experiment to see how thermal radiation affects the temperature of water. I have a container with water inside, which is heated up with a piece of led that rests on the surface of the water. It conducts heat 'sinusoidally', not sure how to describe it. There are seven sensors in the water at different depths that measure the temperature. There is a cooling system around the container so that the water temperature doesn't keep rising but stabilizes. Once the temperature is stable, I start measuring. See attachment for results.

The question, what I would expect to see from the sensors is sinus shapes. What I see is more like waves that climb faster than they descend. Can anyone think of an explanation for this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 417
Science news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your experiment with us. It's great to see someone exploring the effects of thermal radiation on water temperature.

Based on your description and the attached results, it seems like the temperature of the water is fluctuating in a non-linear way. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as the positioning of the sensors, the rate of heat transfer from the LED to the water, and the cooling system's effectiveness in stabilizing the temperature.

To better understand the results, it would be helpful to know more about the setup of your experiment. For example, what type of container are you using? Is it open or closed? How is the cooling system set up? And how long does it take for the temperature to stabilize before you start taking measurements?

One possible explanation for the non-linear temperature fluctuations could be the presence of convection currents in the water. As the water is heated by the LED, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying heat with it. This can create pockets of warmer water near the surface, which may explain the faster climb in temperature observed by the sensors. As the water cools and becomes more dense, it sinks back down, resulting in a slower decrease in temperature.

Another factor to consider is the thermal conductivity of water. Water is a poor conductor of heat, so it's possible that the heat from the LED is not being evenly distributed throughout the container. This could result in localized areas of higher temperature, leading to the observed wave-like pattern.

Overall, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the non-linear temperature fluctuations without more information about your experiment. I would suggest carefully examining the setup and taking measurements at different time intervals to see if there are any patterns or trends that can help explain the results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! Keep us updated on any new findings or insights.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the emission of electromagnetic waves from an object due to its temperature. It is a form of heat transfer that does not require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through.

2. How is thermal radiation measured?

Thermal radiation is typically measured with a thermal radiation detector, which can detect the amount of infrared radiation emitted from an object. This measurement is often expressed in watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What factors affect thermal radiation?

The amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object is affected by its temperature, surface area, and emissivity (the ability to emit radiation). The distance between the object and the detector also plays a role in the amount of radiation detected.

4. What is the purpose of conducting a thermal radiation experiment?

A thermal radiation experiment can help us understand how different materials and objects emit and absorb heat, and how this affects their temperature. It can also be used to study the effects of thermal radiation on living organisms and the environment.

5. How is thermal radiation used in everyday life?

Thermal radiation is used in a variety of ways, including heating and cooking (such as with a microwave), communication (radio waves), and medical treatments (such as infrared therapy). It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and weather patterns.