1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal radiation problem

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Energy can be transmitted via radiation, the rate at which this happens is H=σAT4. A bar of iron is 0.5m long, 0.2m wide and 0.2m high. Iron has a density of 7900 kg/m3, a heat capacity of 400J/kgC, and a coefficent of linear expansion of 1.2x10-5

What is the rate at which iron radiates energy assuming it is initially at 500K and that the emissivity is 0.8?

2. Relevant equations
    H=σAT4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by trying to figure out the final Temperature so I could plug it in to the formula above and get the H. However Im stuck at which equation to use in order to find the final temperature.

Im not sure if I'm going about it the right way either. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't need the final temperature, the formula does not call for it.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    Ok so you're telling me I can just plug in the numbers and get the answer like this

H=(5.67x10^-8)(0.8)(0.2x0.5)(500)^4

The answer is still incorrect...

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think carefully about what area A represents in the formula for the thermal radiation. Does heat only radiate from one side of the iron bar?

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How did you work out the total surface area of the block of iron?
    Ah, HM beat me to it.

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6
    Wow I cant believe how I didnt see that. Thank you for pointing out my stupid mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted