1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Radiation

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    The question:

In 1900, Planck used an abstract model consisting of harmonic oscillators with various frequency. Derive an average energy [tex]\bar{\epsilon}[/tex] of a single oscillator where the oscillators of frequency f can only take on discrete energies [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{n}[/tex] = nhf, n=0, 1, 2, ... and the Boltzmann probability distribution, P([tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{n}[/tex]) = exp(-[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{n}[/tex] / k[tex]_{B}[/tex]T). (Note: Boltzmann showed that the probability for a system at equilibrium to have an energy E is proportional to exp(-[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{n}[/tex] / k[tex]_{B}[/tex] T, where k[tex]_{B}[/tex] is the Boltzmann constant.

I have no idea what he is talking about and my textbook doesn't say anything either. Can someone point me to a good book about these stuff?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2
    R. Eisberg, R. Resnick
    Quantum physics of atoms, molecules, solids, nuclei and participles

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot. It's a beautiful book

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?