Thermal Radiation: Measurement & Conversion Help

In summary, the conversation is about using a Radiation Pyrometer from Heitronics, KT19.XX Series to measure temperature and radiation. The measurements are obtained in Volt through a datalogger, and it is possible to convert them back to temperature. However, the speaker is struggling with understanding Planck's law and how to apply it to their measurements, as their target is not a black body. They are also unsure of which emission grade to set for their measurements. They are advised to contact the manufacturer for clarification.
lia123
hallo to all,

i use a Radiation Pyrometer to measure temperature and Radiation
Trough a datalogger i get those measurements in Volt
i am able to convert the Volt back in the temperature but in Radiation it is more difficult
i found the Plancksche function, but i do not really understand that

can anybody help me?
thanks in advance!

best regards

Science news on Phys.org
Describe your pyrometer.

If the target is a black body, then the radiation only depends on the temperature and surface area. If you know the temperature, then plug it into Planck's law to get the brightness (as a function of wavelength or frequency).

It is a Pyrometer from Heitronics, KT19.XX Series

My target is not a black Body, for testing i measure now in the Office the door/wall. Later it will be used to measure Vegetation.
I´m also not sure which emissiongrade i should set. Can i use Planck`s law, although i measure not a black Body? Is the function the same?

Thank you guys so much!

Best regards

lia123 said:
It is a Pyrometer from Heitronics, KT19.XX Series

My target is not a black Body, for testing i measure now in the Office the door/wall. Later it will be used to measure Vegetation.
I´m also not sure which emissiongrade i should set. Can i use Planck`s law, although i measure not a black Body? Is the function the sam
I think you should email the manufacturer and ask about this.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation emitted by all objects that have a temperature above absolute zero. It is also known as heat radiation or infrared radiation.

2. How is thermal radiation measured?

Thermal radiation is measured using a device called a pyrometer, which measures the amount of infrared radiation emitted by an object. The most common unit of measurement for thermal radiation is watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

4. How is thermal radiation converted to other forms of energy?

Thermal radiation can be converted to other forms of energy through the use of devices such as solar panels and thermoelectric generators. These devices use the heat from thermal radiation to produce electricity or other forms of energy.

5. What are some applications of thermal radiation measurement?

Thermal radiation measurement is used in a variety of applications, including temperature measurement, energy efficiency analysis, and thermal imaging. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, manufacturing, and medicine to monitor and control processes and equipment.