Questions About Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses Stephan's law for thermal radiation and how it applies to different situations, such as when there are surroundings or non-uniform temperatures. It is mentioned that the law is necessary to prevent perpetual motion and that it can be used to calculate heat emitted by an object. However, applying it to non-uniform temperature objects can be complex and may require breaking the object down into sections and considering interactions.
Biker
I took Stephan's law for thermal radiation and I have a couple of questions about it.

1) The law states that the full energy radiated in 1 sec is equal to c T^4 where c is 5.67*10^-8 and T in kelvins and In the book they said if it has surroundings then the net energy emitted would be
q = c A (T^4 -t^4) where t is the temperature of the surroundings. I don't understand how the energy received by the body would be c A t^4.

2) There was an example where a ball with some temperature T and it was connected to a metal cylinder fully covered from the sides by an insulator. When the book tried to calculate the amount of heat emitted by radiation, It subtracted the intersected area between the cylinder and the ball. But, Doesn't it also radiate? It should radiate with net energy. Energy from the radiation of the body minus energy radiated from the cylinder but How do you use stephan's law for non uniform temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
There's an 'a' missing in your first formula.
Biker said:
I don't understand how the energy received by the body would be c A t^4.
There is a very basic consideration here. If the two formula were not the same, you could have a steady build up (or fall) in internal energy, which could be the basis for a perpetual motion machine. And that ain't allowed.
If you want to make it more complicated to include non-uniform temperature then you need to consider internal heat transfers and the emissivities for each part of an object's surface. There will still be an equilibrium situation but I would find it tiresome to work it all out.

sophiecentaur said:
There's an 'a' missing in your first formula.

There is a very basic consideration here. If the two formula were not the same, you could have a steady build up (or fall) in internal energy, which could be the basis for a perpetual motion machine. And that ain't allowed.
If you want to make it more complicated to include non-uniform temperature then you need to consider internal heat transfers and the emissivities for each part of an object's surface. There will still be an equilibrium situation but I would find it tiresome to work it all out.

Could you clarify first part?

I just wonder how would someone calculate it. Does every slice of the conductor radiate? I find it troublesome to use the law because I don't know how it is applicable other than if I have something like a rigid body with some temperature.

Biker said:
Could you clarify first part?
If the factors 'a' were different then at any temperature you could get more energy going in than going out (or vice versa). That would permit perpetual motion - you could connect up a heat engine that worked for free. Nonsense.

sophiecentaur said:
If the factors 'a' were different then at any temperature you could get more energy going in than going out (or vice versa). That would permit perpetual motion - you could connect up a heat engine that worked for free. Nonsense.
Oh I get what you mean. But I was talking about, Applying this formula to the surrounding such as air. There is some sense about being rigid and definite volume or area. I don't know how it was derived and I can't. So I don't know how to apply it for different situations. Ex, Air and non uniform temperature objects.

Biker said:
Oh I get what you mean. But I was talking about, Applying this formula to the surrounding such as air. There is some sense about being rigid and definite volume or area. I don't know how it was derived and I can't. So I don't know how to apply it for different situations. Ex, Air and non uniform temperature objects.
I think the problem would get very complex. I believe it's included in the design of satellite solar power systems. You'd have to break the object down into identifiable sections and do a thermal balance calculation for each (including interactions).

Likes Biker

1. What is Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation?

Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation, also known as the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a black body is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. Who discovered Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation?

Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation was discovered by Austrian physicist Josef Stefan in 1879. Later, it was further developed and named after Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884.

3. How is Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation used in science?

Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, engineering, and thermodynamics. It is particularly useful in calculating the energy emitted by stars and other celestial bodies, as well as in designing and optimizing thermal systems.

4. What is a black body in relation to Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all incoming radiation, without any reflection or transmission. It is used in the context of Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation as a reference object, as it allows for the most accurate application of the law.

5. Can Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation be applied to objects other than black bodies?

Yes, Stephan's Law of Thermal Radiation can be applied to objects other than black bodies. However, the law will need to be modified to account for the emissivity of the object, which is a measure of how well the object emits thermal radiation. The modified version is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.