1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Resistance

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Explain how the concept of thermal resistance can be used in the analysis of heat transfer problems

2. The attempt at a solution

So I'm made a few key points but I am not sure if I have answered the question fully:

• Thermal resistance is a heat property and a measurement of a temperature difference by which an object or material resists heat flow
    • (Conduction) The heat flow can be modelled by analogy to an electrical circuit where heat flow is represented by current, temperatures are represented by voltages, heat sources are represented by constant current sources, absolute thermal resistances are represented by resistances and thermal capacitors are represented by capacitors.
    • Thermal resistance R has the units (m^2*K)/W

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2
    Your answer looks adequate to me. In an open ended question like this, who knows what the teacher expects?

Chet

4. May 15, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks ok to me. Although perhaps you could expand on how it might be used in an analysis. Something of the form... If you know ? and ? then the concept of thermal resistance allows you to calculate ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted