Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Transfer for an Oven in an UHV

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    Hey, I have some questions about alumina in an ultrahigh vacuum. To heat a metal (Mo) body (~1300C) I was thinking of wrapping resistance wire covered by alumina beads into grooves along the body. Lastly I planned on placing a sheet of metal around the grooves to cover them.

I’m not familiar with the relative importance of thermal radiation vs conductance in a vacuum. How concerned do I need to be with the thermal contact of the wire and the body? Or in a UHVacuum would radiative heating be sufficient with little reflection from the alumina beads? If so, are there any improvements I can make? Or any soft metals or thermal interface that would work at these temperatures/pressure?

Secondly, I was going to use a series of heat shields (Ta) followed by a water-cooled copper cold wall. I’m just unsure about mounting the heat shields. I guess I was just going for designing a ceramic support system with minimal contact with the shields (is it crucial that I keep contact minimalized?). Alumina strikes me as fairly machinable so it’d be easy to construct a setup. But are there any better ceramics? It’s my understanding that Alumina has a relatively high thermal conductivity for a ceramic. Lastly I’d just like to know if anyone has useful tips or if there are any concerns I should also have about the heat shielding

Thank you for your help, I can't say I've done this kind of construction before

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted