Thermal velocity of a soccer ball

In summary: Dangle one from a stick and stick it out the window of a passenger car, recording the speed and direction of the wind at various distances.Measure the wind velocity required to get a 45 degree hang angle.Mythbusters actually did this several times, to measure terminal velocity of objects. They would have a long plastic tube that they pushed up air in upwards, and then they dialed up the air speed until the object was suspended. Might be a bit difficult with a soccer ball though because of the size; you want to have enough space on all sides to not just create a soccer ball cannon.Record the speed and direction of the wind at various distances with a camera. Measure the wind velocity required to get
Markus Lervik
Hello,

I am an IB HL Physics student. I am thinking of doing my IA on the thermal velocity of a soccer ball. I will be using a soccer ball shooter (machine) to simulate the thermal velocity. I have a couple of questions: what is the thermal velocity equation, which would fit for a soccer ball's motion? Is there any other good way of approach to find the thermal velocity?

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
Hello Markus, :welcome:

I take it you have googled all the relevant terms, so I am a bit surprised your questions are so unspecific. Perhaps you want to study this a little and think about what it is you could simulate with your ball cannon (which, of course, is fun to play with :smile:). You want to realize it will be rather impossible to simulate a gas of soccer balls.

Wasn't the thermal velocity something like ## {1\over 2} mv^2 = kT ## , so about 12 ##\mu##m/s for a 300 gram soccer ball ? You don't need a cannon for that :rolleyes:

Likes Markus Lervik
BvU said:
Wasn't the thermal velocity something like 12mv2=kT {1\over 2} mv^2 = kT , so about 12 μ\mum/s for a 300 gram soccer ball ? You don't need a cannon for that
Could he mean terminal velocity?

Likes Markus Lervik
Sorry about the unspecific details, I meant terminal velocity. I wrote this just after having a class about thermal energy. Terminal velocity is when drag force is the same as force of gravity. This will then push the ball downwards, when the object is in mid-air. I would need to hit the ball so that the drag force equals the force of gravity. I can hit the ball with my foot, but I'm struggling to see how this could give me accurate numbers. Therefore, using the machine would help me.
Thank you.

Is there any other way that I can approach the problem.

Problem: Solving the terminal velocity of the ball.

I take it you have googled all the relevant terms, so I am a bit surprised ... etc. What is a terminal velocity if you kick a ball ?

But I grant you that you can set up experiments in such a way that you can find values for the variables (in particular Cd) that you need to calculate the terminal velocity. Sensible project, I would say. What measuring equipment do you plan to bring in ?

Fire a ball up vertically at various speeds and measures the speed with which it impacts the ground. Increase the launch speed until the impact speed stops increasing. That impact speed is the terminal velocity.

Hang a ball in a wind tunnel using a thin cord. Measure the wind velocity required to get a 45 degree hang angle.

Mythbusters actually did this several times, to measure terminal velocity of objects. They would have a long plastic tube that they pushed up air in upwards, and then they dialed up the air speed until the object was suspended. Might be a bit difficult with a soccer ball though because of the size; you want to have enough space on all sides to not just create a soccer ball cannon.

Old vacuum cleaner can be used backwards to create an airflow in which you can suspend a ping-pong ball. Perhaps a hair dryer (I don't have one :frown: ) can do the same.

But a ball cannon is so much more fun. Do projectile trajectories with and without friction numerically to interpret your experiments.

I think a leaf blower might work. Use an anemometer to measure the wind speed.

BvU said:
Old vacuum cleaner can be used backwards to create an airflow in which you can suspend a ping-pong ball. Perhaps a hair dryer (I don't have one :frown: ) can do the same.

But a ball cannon is so much more fun. Do projectile trajectories with and without friction numerically to interpret your experiments.

Totally agree of course :smile:
Shoot the ball high up in the air, then use a camera to analyze the speed.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will try to shoot the ball high up in the air and use a camera to analyze the speed.

I've decided to drop the ball from a tall building and use the camera to determine the change of velocity. My calculations will look like this:

∑F = ma
F_f=mg=0
C×Vt2=mg

vt= √mg/c

c=(0.5) CD×ρ×A

I would test my numbers by calculating the distance of travel (ball). Then, I would try to shot the ball at the same speed and see if my numbers are right.
Is this a good way to approach the task? Wouldn't there be a significant percentage of uncertainty when I'm testing my results?

Thank you.

jbriggs444 said:
Hang a ball in a wind tunnel using a thin cord. Measure the wind velocity required to get a 45 degree hang angle.

Dangle one from a stick and stick it out the window of a passenger car, speed up to hit your 45 degree angle.

Edit, turbulence is likely to allow only a rough estimate.

Last edited:
Image8.gif

From, http://www.gantless.com/paper.html

What is the thermal velocity of a soccer ball?

The thermal velocity of a soccer ball refers to the speed at which the ball moves due to the random motion of its molecules. It is affected by factors such as temperature, air resistance, and the material of the ball.

How is the thermal velocity of a soccer ball calculated?

The thermal velocity of a soccer ball is calculated using the root mean square (RMS) speed formula, which takes into account the mass, temperature, and molar mass of the gas molecules colliding with the ball.

What factors influence the thermal velocity of a soccer ball?

The thermal velocity of a soccer ball can be influenced by temperature, air resistance, and the material of the ball. Higher temperatures and lighter materials can result in a higher thermal velocity, while air resistance can slow it down.

Why is the thermal velocity of a soccer ball important?

The thermal velocity of a soccer ball is important because it affects the movement and flight of the ball during a game. It can also impact the distance and accuracy of a player's kick, making it a crucial factor in the game.

How can the thermal velocity of a soccer ball be altered?

The thermal velocity of a soccer ball can be altered by changing the temperature, material, or air resistance. For example, heating the ball or using a lighter material can increase its thermal velocity, while increasing air resistance can slow it down.