1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermistor problem

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Ok so I am trying to figure out what type of material a thermistor should be, and am using the equation ΔR=kΔT (R being the resistivity, k being the temperature coefficient of resistivity, with which I want to find and match it up with a material, and T being the temperature). I have the change in temperature and the resistivity is initially at zero, but I don't have either the final resistivity or k. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Thermistors are often non-linear. Some are designed as self heating regulation devices, others as temperature sensors. You need to measure the characteristics of your device and identify thermal conductivity regarding self heating.
    Start here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a school experiment? It sounds like one I supervised a few years ago.

If so, you need to measure the resistance at several temperatures (known temperatures - ice water, boiling water, etc) using Ohm's law with measured voltages and currents. Then plot your results.

k is the slope of the curve.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook