Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermistor problem

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Ok so I am trying to figure out what type of material a thermistor should be, and am using the equation ΔR=kΔT (R being the resistivity, k being the temperature coefficient of resistivity, with which I want to find and match it up with a material, and T being the temperature). I have the change in temperature and the resistivity is initially at zero, but I don't have either the final resistivity or k. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Thermistors are often non-linear. Some are designed as self heating regulation devices, others as temperature sensors. You need to measure the characteristics of your device and identify thermal conductivity regarding self heating.
    Start here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a school experiment? It sounds like one I supervised a few years ago.

If so, you need to measure the resistance at several temperatures (known temperatures - ice water, boiling water, etc) using Ohm's law with measured voltages and currents. Then plot your results.

k is the slope of the curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook