Thermistors and potential divider circuits

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resistance of a thermistor in a potential divider circuit using the formula X/R+X * 5V = V, where R is the resistance of the resistor and V is the voltage across the thermistor.
goodall
hey ill be quick about this, i really need help with a potential divider circuit. basically i have a resistor and a thermistor in series. 5 v input, and the values given for the thermistor are in volts, i need them in ohms. so i need to use the voltage across the thermistor, the total input voltage and the resistance of the resistor to find the resistance of the thermistor ata temperature. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

You can use the formula to find the resistance of the thermistor.

X / R+X * 5(volts) = V

Where R is the resistance of the resistor and V is the voltage across the thermistor.

Then solve for X which is the resistance of the thermistor.

Sure, I can definitely help with your potential divider circuit question. A potential divider circuit is a type of voltage divider circuit that uses resistors to divide the input voltage into smaller voltages. In your case, the resistor and thermistor are in series, meaning that the same current flows through both components.

To find the resistance of the thermistor at a specific temperature, you can use the voltage divider formula: Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the resistor, R2 is the resistance of the thermistor, and Vout is the voltage across the thermistor.

Since you have the input voltage and the resistance of the resistor, you can rearrange the formula to solve for R2, the resistance of the thermistor. It would look like this: R2 = (Vout * R1) / (Vin - Vout).

To get the voltage across the thermistor, you can use Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. Since the same current flows through both the resistor and thermistor, you can use the current value to find the voltage across the thermistor.

Once you have the voltage and resistance values for the thermistor, you can use the thermistor's datasheet to find its temperature-resistance relationship. This will allow you to calculate the resistance of the thermistor at a specific temperature.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your potential divider circuit!

1. What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that is made of semiconductor material. It changes its resistance in response to changes in temperature.

2. How does a thermistor work?

A thermistor works by measuring changes in electrical resistance as temperature changes. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the thermistor decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is a potential divider circuit?

A potential divider circuit is a type of voltage divider circuit that uses two resistors in series to divide the input voltage into smaller output voltages. It is commonly used to measure voltage or to control the voltage in a circuit.

4. How is a thermistor used in a potential divider circuit?

A thermistor is used in a potential divider circuit to measure changes in temperature. It is connected in series with a fixed resistor, and the output voltage across the thermistor is measured. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor changes, causing a change in the output voltage.

5. What are the applications of thermistors and potential divider circuits?

Thermistors and potential divider circuits have many applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in temperature sensors, thermostats, and electronic devices for temperature control. They are also used in battery charging circuits, voltage regulators, and other electronic circuits that require precise voltage measurements.