Thermistors calculation of base resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses using a regression equation to find the base resistance of a thermistor and using it to determine the temperature of boiling water. The base resistance of a thermistor is defined as its resistance at 25 °C with negligible electrical power. Y represents the resistance and x represents the temperature in the equation. The conversation also mentions plotting the equation and studying its shape, as well as the difficulty in accurately measuring a low resistance of 0.08 ohms.
physocs1
Using the regression eqn. Find the base resistance of the thermistor.
Find the temp. Of the boiling water using this eqn.

Y=1.54e^-0.059x

How do I go about solving this problem

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

Plot the equation for temperatures from 0 to 100°C and study it's shape.

What is meant by the base resistance of the thermistor?
Is Y the resistance?
Is x the temperature?
What was the thermistor resistance when in the boiling water?

Can you put the resistance into the equation?

Likes jim hardy
The resistance value of a thermistor at a specified temperature with negligible electrical power to avoid self heating. Usually base resistance will be defined at 25 °C.
Its a NTC looking shape
I think Y is resistance
X is temp.
Not sure

At 100C: R= 0.08

Could I plug in 25 C and solve for Y?? .

physocs1 said:
I think Y is resistance
X is temp.
Not sure
At 100C: R= 0.08
Could I plug in 25 C and solve for Y?? .
You need to find out for sure.
If x is resistance and y is temperature then you need to plug in the resistance to get the temperature.
R= 0.08 ohms is a very low resistance. It is so low that it would be very hard to measure accurately.
You cannot build a reliable answer if you cannot be sure of the numbers and the units.

What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of resistor that changes its resistance in response to changes in temperature. It is made of a temperature-sensitive material, such as ceramic or polymer, and is commonly used in electronic circuits for temperature measurement and control.

What is base resistance?

Base resistance refers to the resistance of a thermistor at a specific temperature, usually at 25 degrees Celsius (room temperature). This value is used as a reference point for calculating the resistance at other temperatures.

How is base resistance calculated?

The base resistance of a thermistor can be calculated using the Steinhart-Hart equation, which takes into account the temperature coefficient of resistance and the thermistor's nominal resistance at 25 degrees Celsius. Alternatively, it can be obtained from the manufacturer's datasheet.

Why is calculating base resistance important?

Calculating base resistance is important because it allows us to accurately measure temperature using a thermistor. By knowing the base resistance and the current resistance at a given temperature, we can determine the temperature using a simple mathematical formula.

Can base resistance change over time?

Yes, base resistance can change over time due to factors such as aging, thermal cycling, and exposure to extreme temperatures. This is why it is important to regularly calibrate thermistors to ensure accurate temperature measurements.