Thermit Reaction: Electrical Energy from Al + Fe2O3

• Thread starter Uno Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, this conversation is about finding a way to create electrical energy directly from an exothermic reaction. Al + Fe2O3 = Fe + Al2O3, but Fe2O3 is not water soluble so something needs to be done to solvate Fe3+ ions. Alumimum is a metal below hydrogen on the activity series for aqueous solutions, so it should be safe to use. The person is looking for a way to test different materials before choosing an aluminum block for the exothermic reaction.
Uno Lee
I was wondering if it would be possible to create electrical energy directly instead of heat and light in this exothermic reaction. Al + Fe2O3 = Fe + Al2O3 (Sorry "=" sign should be an arrow) What sort of electrolyte should be used?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oops, that's 2Al + Fe2O3 > 2Fe + Al2O3

Well Fe2O3 is not water soluble, so you would need something to solvate Fe3+ ions. I think H2SO4 would work. Stick an aluminum anode in aqueous solution of Fe2O3. For the cathode, you wouldn't necessarily need to use iron.

Thanks, I'll try this but by little book of solubilities says that Fe2O3 is only soluble in HCl and that (unfortunately) dissolves Al, too.

so-crates said:
Well Fe2O3 is not water soluble, so you would need something to solvate Fe3+ ions. I think H2SO4 would work. Stick an aluminum anode in aqueous solution of Fe2O3. For the cathode, you wouldn't necessarily need to use iron.
I want to stick to commonly found materials and keep it as non-toxic as possible. Aluminum is a commonly found material, that takes a lot of electricity to make. I'm looking for a way of getting that electricity back.

Uno Lee said:
Thanks, I'll try this but by little book of solubilities says that Fe2O3 is only soluble in HCl and that (unfortunately) dissolves Al, too.

It dissolves alumnium salts or does it react with alumimun metal? If the former, then it shouldn't be a problem. I forgot where alumimum was on the activity series for aqueous solutions but I believe it was below hydrogen so it shouldn't be a problem.

What were you planning on using for your alumnium block? Foil ?

Foil to test (greater surface area for reaction) then I want to try used pop and beer cans before moving up to aluminum campers and trailers.

Actually now that I think about you might run into a problem because the sulfic acid will react with oxide to form water.

What is the Thermit Reaction?

The Thermit Reaction is a chemical reaction that produces a large amount of heat and light through the exothermic reaction of aluminum (Al) and iron oxide (Fe2O3). This reaction is also known as the aluminothermic reaction and has been used in various industrial and scientific applications.

How does the Thermit Reaction produce electrical energy?

The heat generated from the Thermit Reaction can be used to heat a boiler, which produces steam that can then drive a turbine and generate electricity. This process is known as thermoelectric power generation and is a common method of harnessing energy from various chemical reactions.

What are the applications of the Thermit Reaction?

The Thermit Reaction has various industrial and scientific applications, including welding, metal cutting, and the production of alloys. It is also used in the production of railroad tracks, where it is used to weld sections of steel rails together.

What are the safety precautions for conducting a Thermit Reaction?

The Thermit Reaction produces extremely high temperatures and should only be conducted under strict safety measures. Protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and heat-resistant clothing, should be worn at all times. The reaction should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to prevent the buildup of toxic fumes.

Can the Thermit Reaction be used as a renewable energy source?

The Thermit Reaction is not considered a renewable energy source as it requires the use of aluminum, which is a non-renewable resource. While the reaction itself is sustainable, the resources used to produce it are not. Therefore, it cannot be considered a long-term solution for energy production.