1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo: Compressor-flowing system analysis

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    Thermo: Compressor--flowing system analysis

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A compressor takes 90 kg/min of helium at 120 kPa and 310 K and compresses it to
    700 kPa and 430K. A heat loss of 20 kJ/kg of helium flowing is noted.

Determine:

(a) the work required by the compressor (kJ/kg), and
    (b) the power required to drive the air compressor (kW).
    Assume helium is an Ideal Gas; M = 4 kg/kmol; Cp = 5/2R.

2. Relevant equations

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PHOTO FOR MY WORK AND ATTEMPT.

3. The attempt at a solution

The solutions are given as
    (a) 643.6 kJ/kg
    (b) +965.4 kW

My questions are:

a) I would not have realized that this 643.6 kJ/kg result was actually what was asked (work req'd by compressor) had the solution not been given. This was just an intermediate result to what I thought I was working towards. So how would I know that "the work req'd by compressor" is actually asking for this? And what symbol would this be denoted by?

Work (W) has SI units of J = Nm = kgm^2/s^2. So it's not W... but what? The phrasing of the question has me confused.

b) According my Mass Energy balance expression of the 1st LoTh; with cancellations and strategic assumptions, Wdot= mdot(deltah) -Qdot.

So to calculate Wdot, I have a unit mismatch unless I bring Qdot inside the parenthetical expression. But multiplying Qdot by mdot is nowhere in my relation of the 1st Law. This seems like magic--and bad mathematics--to me. But it yields the correct (given) solution. Some insight here would be helpful.

Thanks!
    JC
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?