1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo diff-eq problems

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    Hello PF. I am an undergraduate in physics doing some work in a research lab at school and I need some help with a time-constant calorimetry experiment I am working on.

I am attempting to compute the temperature as a function of time of a small sample of copper that I am heating. I am modeling the setup as if the sample, the heater, and the thermometer are all in perfect thermal equilibrium (infinite thermal conductance between all three) and some thermal resistance R to a constant temperature reservoir to which heat is lost.

I have come up with the following differential equation to describe this situation:

d/dt(Q) = C*d/dt(T) + R(T-Ts) where Q is the heat added, T is the temp of the sample/thermometer, R is the thermal resistance between the sample and the reservoir and Ts is the temp of the reservoir.

I am hoping that someone can help me determine if the above is correct and if so give me some pointers on how to solve this diff-eq. I believe this is a linear coupled system and I don't know where to start. I really appreciate the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    I figured it out and so I thought I would post the answer for anyone with a similar problem although I realize this is probably very trivial for most...

C*d/dt(T) = d/dt(Q) where d/dt(Q) is the difference of the power being applied from the heater an the power being lost to the reservoir.

C*d/dt(T) = V^2/Rh - k(T-Ts) where V is the voltage across the heater coil, Rh is the electrical resistance of the heater coil, k is the thermal conductance of the link from the sample to the reservoir and C is the heat capacity of the apparatus including sample, heater and thermocouple etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook