What is the differential equation for a time-constant calorimetry experiment?

• Thread starter eNaught
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in physics working on a time-constant calorimetry experiment in a research lab. They are attempting to compute the temperature of a small sample of copper as it is heated and have come up with a differential equation to describe the situation. They are looking for help with solving the equation and have also shared their own solution for others who may have a similar problem. The equation takes into account the heat added, temperature of the sample and thermometer, thermal resistance, and temperature of the reservoir.
eNaught
Hello PF. I am an undergraduate in physics doing some work in a research lab at school and I need some help with a time-constant calorimetry experiment I am working on.

I am attempting to compute the temperature as a function of time of a small sample of copper that I am heating. I am modeling the setup as if the sample, the heater, and the thermometer are all in perfect thermal equilibrium (infinite thermal conductance between all three) and some thermal resistance R to a constant temperature reservoir to which heat is lost.

I have come up with the following differential equation to describe this situation:

d/dt(Q) = C*d/dt(T) + R(T-Ts) where Q is the heat added, T is the temp of the sample/thermometer, R is the thermal resistance between the sample and the reservoir and Ts is the temp of the reservoir.

I am hoping that someone can help me determine if the above is correct and if so give me some pointers on how to solve this diff-eq. I believe this is a linear coupled system and I don't know where to start. I really appreciate the help!

Science news on Phys.org
I figured it out and so I thought I would post the answer for anyone with a similar problem although I realize this is probably very trivial for most...

C*d/dt(T) = d/dt(Q) where d/dt(Q) is the difference of the power being applied from the heater an the power being lost to the reservoir.

C*d/dt(T) = V^2/Rh - k(T-Ts) where V is the voltage across the heater coil, Rh is the electrical resistance of the heater coil, k is the thermal conductance of the link from the sample to the reservoir and C is the heat capacity of the apparatus including sample, heater and thermocouple etc.

1. What is a thermo diff-eq problem?

A thermo diff-eq problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves solving differential equations related to heat transfer or thermodynamics. These equations describe how temperature, energy, and heat flow change over time and space.

2. What are some common applications of thermo diff-eq problems?

Thermo diff-eq problems are used in many fields of science and engineering, including heat transfer, fluid mechanics, meteorology, and materials science. They can be applied to understand processes such as heat conduction, convection, and radiation, and to design and optimize systems such as heat exchangers and power plants.

3. What are the main challenges in solving thermo diff-eq problems?

One of the main challenges in solving thermo diff-eq problems is the complexity of the equations involved. These equations often have multiple variables and parameters, and may also involve nonlinear relationships. Additionally, boundary conditions and initial conditions must be carefully considered and applied in order to obtain accurate solutions.

4. What techniques are commonly used to solve thermo diff-eq problems?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve thermo diff-eq problems, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and computational methods. Analytical methods involve finding exact solutions using mathematical techniques, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate solutions. Computational methods involve using computer simulations to solve complex thermo diff-eq problems.

5. How are thermo diff-eq problems important in scientific research?

Thermo diff-eq problems are a fundamental tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They allow scientists to model and understand complex physical systems, and to make predictions about how these systems will behave under different conditions. Thermo diff-eq problems also play a crucial role in the development of new technologies and the advancement of our understanding of the natural world.