1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo homework help

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Saturated liquid water contained in a closed, rigid tank is cooled to a final state where the temperature is 50 degrees C and the masses of saturated vapor and liquid present are 0.03 and 1999.97 kg, respectively. Determine the heat transfer for the process, in kJ.

2. Relevant equations

u = (1-x)u_f + x(u_g)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I am able to find the values for all my variables except for the specific internal energy of the initial saturated liquid water. The value can be found on a saturation table but to do so, I need to know either the pressure or the temperature of the water, which is not given in the problem. Any hints on obtaining one these values?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Will this help?
  4. Sep 10, 2007 #3
    lol, I wish it were that easy, but I actually need the pressure or the temp of the saturated liquid before cooling. I am sure the 50 degrees C value is used in some way, direct or indirect, to find one of the numbers I need, but I am not sure how to calculate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?