1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo: ideal gas problem

1. Sep 19, 2003 #1
    An unknown number of Helium atoms are in a 1 liter container at an unknown temperature. The gas is made to expand such that it's final volume is 4 liters and pressure rises 'in direct proportion to its volume'.

1. does 'in direct proportion to it volume' mean Pf = Pi * Vf/Vi or should there be a proportionality constant a?

2. I calculated the work done on the gas by using P(v) = a*V and using W = -[inte] aVdV = -a/2 * (Vf^2 - Vi^2) Comments?

3. I am having more trouble getting change in internal energy dU.

I tried PV = NkT so PfVf - PiVi = Nk( Tf - Ti) and
    dU = 3Nk (Tf - Ti)/2 so that

dU = 3/2 * (PfVf-PiVi) = 3/2 * (4*4*aVi - Vi)

Is this even close?

4. If I can get 2 and 3 I can calculate Q myself!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Pressure is in direct proportion to Volume" MEANS that P is some constant times V: P= aV where a is the constant of proportionality.

HOWEVER, if you write P1= aV1 and P2= aV2 for two different sets of pressure and volume, and then divide one by the other: P1/P2= V1/V2 (which is the equation you are using) does not involve a constant of proportionality because they cancel.

2) looks correct to me.

In 3) You use PV= NRT which says that for CONSTANT temperature, P is INVERSELY proportional to V. But the problem says P is directly proportional to V! Well, of course, that says that the temperature does NOT stay constant! You can use PV= NRT together with P= aV to find the change in temperature just as you did.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?