1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo: Isentropic expansion

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a system u =Av-2exp(s/R)

N moles of this substance initially at T0 and P0 are expanded isentropically until the pressure is halved. What is the final temperature?

2. Relevant equations

du = [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]s ds + [tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]\partial[/tex]v dv
    du = Tds - Pdv

3. The attempt at a solution

If this function is changing isentropically, ds would have to be zero, correct? The derivative of v would have to be such as to multiply P times 1/2, correct? But, if ds --> zero, how do I find my final temperature as a multiple of my initial temperature? Do I have to start plugging values which would satisfy these conditions back into the original equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about expressing T as [itex](\partial U/\partial S)_V[/itex] and P as [itex]-(\partial U/\partial V)_S[/itex] and looking at how the volume changes during the process?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook