1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo: Lab vacuum

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    The best laboratory vacuum has a pressure of about 1.00 x 10-18 atm, or 1.01 x 10-13 Pa. How
    many gas molecules are there per cubic centimeter in such a vacuum at 293K?

PV = nkT
    P/kT = n/V = N (# of molecules per cm^3)

Since V is typically in units of m^3 or liters, should I make my volume .01V to account for the cm^3?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When making unit conversions, use the trick of multiplying by "1" to help you do the unit conversion.

So to convert from cm^3 to m^3 multiply by "1" like this:

[tex]1cm^3 * \frac{(1m)^3}{(100cm)^3}[/tex]

The cm^3 unit terms in the numerator and denominator cancel (just like numbers cancel if they are identical in the numerator and denominator of a fraction), and you are left with what in units of m^3? Hint -- It's not 0.01 ... :smile:

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

berkeman

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are using the right equation. People are conditioned to see n as number of moles and N as number of molecules, so better use N.

Now try to work in a consistent set of units. SI units is what every reasonable person would use.
    p in Pascal, Pa with 1Pa = 1 N/m[sup2[/sup]. Conversion: 1 atm = 101325 N/m[sup2[/sup].
    k Boltzmann constant, J/K 1.3806488 10-23 J/K
    T 293 K

The equation gives you n/V in molecules/m3.
    Since the exercise asks for molecules/cm3, all you have to do is multiply by

( molecules/cm3 ) / (molecules/m3 ) = cm3 / m3 = (cm / m3) = (10-2)3

[I see berkeman beat me to it, well, good for you!

But I don't agree with him (/her?): pV = NkT is just fine. It's the same as pV = nRT since n = N/NA and R = kB*NA ]

6. Sep 10, 2014 #5
    Ok, sweet. Thank you!

7. Sep 10, 2014 #6

berkeman

Great post BvU. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted