1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo Mixing Question

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    hi guys, i have a thermodynamics question.

a 2.50 kg iron object is initially at 650 degrees celsius and dropped into a bucket containing 20kg of water at 25 degrees celsius, what is the final temperature?

As always it just a matter of applying the formula, but i dont seem to be applying the right one?
    Thanx

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Consider that the net exchange of thermal energy must be zero. Whatever heat flows out of the iron ([itex]Q = m c \Delta T[/itex]) must be equal to the heat flowing into the water. And, once they reach equilibrium, both iron and water end up at the same final temperature.

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    is delta t, t final - t initial or vice versa?

5. May 8, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suggest using [itex]\Delta T = T_f - T_i[/itex]. In which case, [itex]Q_{water} = - Q_{iron}[/itex]. (The iron cools down, so its [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is negative.)

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    ok, the specific heat capacity of iron is 440J per degree celsius, right?
    if so i have all the values i need, i just need to transpose the formula to find the final temperature

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?