Thermo molar volume question

In summary, to determine if water vapor is acting ideally at a given temperature and pressure, one can use the ideal gas law or the steam tables. When using the ideal gas law, the calculated molar volume should be compared to the molar volume determined from the steam tables. If they are similar, then the water vapor can be considered as acting ideally. In this specific case of T=572 ºF and pressure=145 psi (g), the calculated molar volume was 0.264 m^3/kg and the molar volume from the steam tables was 0.25790 m^3/kg, resulting in a Z value of 0.9744. This indicates that the water vapor is indeed acting ideally.
snowwhite

Homework Statement

Given T=572 ºF, pressure= 145 psi (g) using the steam tables and ideal gas law
Molar Mass= 18 g/mol for water
Find: Is the water vapour acting ideally?

Homework Equations

Ideal Gas Law: PV=nRT

P is the pressure =145 psi (g)
V is the molar volume
n= mol
R= Ideal gas constant 8.314 J(K^-1)(mol^-1)
T is temperature in kelvin, so temperature in farenheit= 572 ºF =573.15 ºK

How can I calculate the molar volume using the steam tables? and how can I know if the water vapour is acting ideally?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Ideal gas law: PV= nRT
so: V= nRT/P= (18 mol)(8.314 JK^-1mol^-1)(573.15 ºK)= 85773.04=8.5x10(^4) metres cube
where: P= 145 psi (g)= 999739.80705 Pascals
1 Psi = 6 894.75729 Pascals

Physics news on Phys.org
snowwhite said:

Homework Statement

Given T=572 ºF, pressure= 145 psi (g) using the steam tables and ideal gas law
Molar Mass= 18 g/mol for water
Find: Is the water vapour acting ideally?

Homework Equations

Ideal Gas Law: PV=nRT

P is the pressure =145 psi (g)
V is the molar volume
n= mol
R= Ideal gas constant 8.314 J(K^-1)(mol^-1)
T is temperature in kelvin, so temperature in farenheit= 572 ºF =573.15 ºK

How can I calculate the molar volume using the steam tables? and how can I know if the water vapour is acting ideally?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Ideal gas law: PV= nRT
so: V= nRT/P= (18 mol)(8.314 JK^-1mol^-1)(573.15 ºK) ( ) = 85773.04=8.5x10(^4) metres cube
where: P= 145 psi (g)= 999739.80705 Pascals
1 Psi = 6 894.75729 Pascals

Green is good, and red is not so good; the steam tables give you measured values of properties. Pay attention to your calculation of ideal properties, and you can compare those to table props at the same conditions.

That (g) next to the pressure: is that gage?

What units are used in your steam tables?

Chet

It doesn´t say. I think it will be gauge pressure

units of steam tables? vg= metres cube/kg

If u want to have a look, Steam tables attached

By the way, I always do everything different from everybody else, that why I´m different

Attachments

• Thermodynamic & Transport Properties of Fluids (Rogers) 5e.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 37,673
so how can I calculate the molar volume using the steam tables? and how can I know if the water vapour is acting ideally?

snowwhite said:
so how can I calculate the molar volume using the steam tables? and how can I know if the water vapour is acting ideally?
You said that the units of specific volume in the steam table are m3/kg. You convert that to m^3/gram. How many grams are there in a g-mole of water?
You compare the molar volume you calculate from the ideal gas law with the molar volume you determine from the steam tables. Do you know how to use the ideal gas law to calculate the molar volume?

Chet

Likes snowwhite
yes, of course. Ideal gas law equation: PV=nRTdeal gas law: PV= nRT
so: V= nRT/P= (18 mol)(8.314 JK^-1mol^-1)(573.15 ºK) ( ) = 85773.04=8.5x10(^4) metres cube

snowwhite said:
yes, of course. Ideal gas law equation: PV=nRTdeal gas law: PV= nRT
This is an incorrect application of the ideal gas law. What happened to the pressure in your equation? The molar volume is defined as the volume occupied by 1 mole of the gas. If you have 1 mole (not 18), what is the volume of this mole of gas at the temperature and pressure of the system?

Did it really make sense to you that the volume of one g-mole of water vapor could be 85000 cubic meters, given that, under standard conditions, the molar volume is only 22.4 liters = 0.0224 cubic meters? After you do a calculation, it helps to do a reality check.

Chet

Likes snowwhite
PV= nRT,

V=nRT/P= (1 mol)(8.314 JK^-1mol^-1)(573.15 ºK)/(1000)= 4.76 metres cube

145 psi= 10^5 Pa x 10 = 10^6Pa= (10^3 KPa)=1000 KPa= pressure

To calculate the molar volume of steam:

For steam: R= R/M= (8.31434)/18=0.4619 KJ/KG

hence: PV=nRT
So V=RT/P=(0.4619)(300+273.15)/1000 KPa=0.264 metres cube/kg

Why are you dividing by pressure in Kpa? The gas constant is in Joules. You found the volume of 1 kg-mole, not the volume of 1 gm-mole. Your final answer for the specific volume is correct, however. Please pay more attention to units.

Likes snowwhite
The IDEAL GAS LAW EQUATION: PV=nRT

the pressure is always in PA or Kpa. I diveded by pressure to calculate the Volume
Yes, the gas constant is in KJ/kg like I wroted it.

snowwhite said:
The IDEAL GAS LAW EQUATION: PV=nRT

the pressure is always in PA or Kpa. I diveded by pressure to calculate the Volume
Yes, the gas constant is in KJ/kg like I wroted it.
Well, it looks like you got the right answer in the end. But, again, please pay lots of attention to units when you do a problem.

Chet

Likes snowwhite
b) USING THE STEAM TABLES

P= 1 MPA, V= 0.264 Vactual=0.25790 Z=PVactual/RT=0.9744

SO: CONCLUSION: As seen the Ideal Gas Assumption is very good for this case. The water vapour is acting ideally

1. What is thermo molar volume?

Thermo molar volume is a physical property that describes the volume occupied by one mole of a substance at a given temperature and pressure. It is often denoted as Vm and has units of liters per mole (L/mol).

2. How is thermo molar volume calculated?

Thermo molar volume can be calculated by dividing the molar mass of a substance by its density at a specific temperature and pressure. It can also be calculated using the ideal gas law, Vm = RT/P, where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and P is the pressure in atmospheres.

3. What is the significance of thermo molar volume?

Thermo molar volume is an important property in thermodynamics and is used to calculate various thermodynamic quantities, such as enthalpy and entropy. It is also useful in determining the behavior of gases and liquids under different conditions.

4. How does thermo molar volume change with temperature and pressure?

Thermo molar volume is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to pressure. This means that as temperature increases or pressure decreases, the thermo molar volume will also increase.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermo molar volume?

Thermo molar volume is used in various industries, such as chemical engineering, to design and optimize production processes. It is also useful in environmental studies to understand the behavior of pollutants in the atmosphere. Additionally, it is used in the development of new materials and substances.