1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo Problem

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Warm air is contained in a piston-cylinder assembly oriented horizontally. The air cools slowly from an initial volume of 0.003m^3 to a final volume of 0.002m^3. During the process, the spring exerts a force that varies linearly from an initial value of 900N to a final value of zero. The atmospheric pressure is 100kPa, and the area of the piston face is 0.018m^2. Friction is neglected between piston and cylinder. For the air, determine the initial and final pressures and work.

2. Relevant equations

Pressure x Area = Force

Work = [tex]\int[/tex] p dV

3. The attempt at a solution

Initial Pressure of Air x Area = Atmospheric Pressure x Area + Spring Force
    Initial Pressure of Air x 0.018m^2 = (100x10^3Pa x 0.018m^2) + 900N
    Initial Pressure of Air = 150kPa

Final Pressure of Air x Area = Atmospheric Pressure x Area
    Final Pressure of Air = Atmospheric Pressure
    Final Pressure of Air = 100kPa

Work = [tex]\int[/tex] p dV

Volume is changing from 0.003m^3 to 0.002m^3, which can be used as an interval of this integration. I am not sure about how I should use pressure to calculate the work.

Also, I am not really sure if I got those pressures correctly.
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Physics tip - don't do the maths until you understand the problem.
    If you can solve the problem with simple maths do so.

Pressure - at the start the pressure is atmopshere+spring, at the end it is jsut atmosphere
    Work - work is force*distance. Since the force is varying linearly you don't need to integrate just use the average/mid point force
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    Did I do it wrong? I thought those calculations for pressure were quite simple...?

Well for the work part, here's what I did.

Since the area for both initial and final are constant, find the distance travelled by dividing volume by area. (Initial Volume/Area and Final Volume/Area)
    Once I get those, subtrace one to another to final the distance travelled.
    Then like you mentioned earlier, average force (450N) times the distance that I got to find the work done, which is 25J or 0.03kJ)
  5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds correct
  6. Aug 28, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much. Have a great day! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?