Thermo question

1. I need a kick start for the following question. We're studying open/closed systems at the moment.

"450kg of ice at -18 degrees C is to be removed from a freezer using a jet of steam. How much dry steam at 100 degrees C is required if the final temp of the effluent is 5 degrees C?"

This is what I've sussed out so far.. because mass is being added to the system (the mass of the steam) I assume this is an open system problem. I haven't been given any information regarding enthalpy of either the ice or the steam so I'm assuming it's a simple matter of working out how much energy I need to bring the ice up to 5 degrees and introducing that energy into the freezer in the form of steam that will be giving up energy as it cools down to 5 degrees.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
    Chopper

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason 6,834
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be a simple matter of algebra. Just set up the expression for heat h needed to raise the temperature of 450 kg of ice to 5 degrees and the heat lost by a mass m of stream. Equate the two and solve for m.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?